Dh White Cake Problems-Help Asap

Decorating By ajay0665 Updated 20 May 2007 , 6:23am by JanH

ajay0665 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajay0665 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 8

I know there has been posts about this previously and I read some of them. My problem, in addition to the cake falling in the center was that the top and outside was VERY CRUSTY...like angel food cake.

I usually don't make white cake but my sister wanted it. I added french vanilla liquid creamer to it. Would that do it?

I also add 1 1/2 tbsp of meringue powder..which is something that my Wilton instructor told us to do to give your cake more stability. It has always worked for me in the past..nice moist but fairly firm cakes. This white cake has a sponge cake like texture..very dense.

Can anyone help me? Will the outside edges soften up with the frosting or should I just start over?

7 replies
tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0665

I know there has been posts about this previously and I read some of them. My problem, in addition to the cake falling in the center was that the top and outside was VERY CRUSTY...like angel food cake.

I usually don't make white cake but my sister wanted it. I added french vanilla liquid creamer to it. Would that do it?

I also add 1 1/2 tbsp of ..which is something that my Wilton instructor told us to do to give your cake more stability. It has always worked for me in the past..nice moist but fairly firm cakes. This white cake has a sponge cake like texture..very dense.

Can anyone help me? Will the outside edges soften up with the frosting or should I just start over?

The cake falling in the center sounds like it wasn't fully done in the middle. The crusting part sounds like it was too hot an oven and the outside baked too fast

You might reduce the temp to 325. and try using a flower nail to help it get done in the middle.

I haven't added meringue powder before, so can't help you there. But, I do add an extra egg, use milk instead of water and add a box of pudding. It makes it stable and very moist.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

Just trim the top and sides, and you should be OK.
Is it overcooked? If so, the entire cake will be dry, so you'd want to start over.
You can also add a simple syrup to help moisten it.

JulesL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesL Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 8

I use DH mixes and have never added anything to them except maybe the cake extender. I have never had a problem. The sinking in the middle is because your cake isn't done and the hard edges (if it is the same cake as the sinking middle) are probably because of a lighter weight pan. Some of the insulators that wrap around the edges should help that. I have had that problem if I over cooked the cake. I switched to Magic Line pans and they cook much better! Hope this helps, there are many more experienced bakers on here who probably have more suggestions.

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 8

Ooops, that last post by Jules was actually by me! She was here and logged in on my computer and it must not have logged her out! Sorry Julie!!

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 8

in the white cakes, you probably should try avoiding the extra merg. powder, because a white cake has more egg whites in it already, plus to keep the cake white... for a mix, you should use just the egg white option on the box, because if you don't the cake will turn a yellow color, might as well make a yellow cake icon_smile.gif ....

but you should try your wilton baking strips that you can find in micheal's where you took your wilton class. they really do help the cake cook more even.

and just an FYI for common problems if your cake sinks in the center there are a few reasons why:

1. the cake batter contained too much fat or oil.. make sure you measure your oil VERY carefully
2. the cake contained too much sugar ( since it's a box mix probably not the problem)
3. The sugar is too coarse. ( again not the issue)
4. Your cake contained too much leavening, which might have been the problem since you added merg powder on top of the extra that is already in a white cake mix.

just some ideas icon_smile.gif
Jen

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 8

great info noley!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 May 2007 , 6:23am
post #8 of 8

If this recipe usually works for you, and the only variable was the addition of the liquid coffee creamer - it was probably the creamer.

The creamer's ingredients are mainly sugar and fat, so adding too much could change the cakes structure causing it to collapse..

This thread has more info on coffee creamers added to cake mixes, frosting and more:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-293673-creamer.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%