Kool Aid

Decorating By Crimsicle Updated 25 Feb 2006 , 7:46pm by Crimsicle

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 2:15am
post #1 of 11

I know this may seem kind of off-the-wall, but has anybody tried flavoring a cake with Kool Aid powder?

10 replies
Jester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jester Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:17am
post #2 of 11

Nope but it sounds interesting. Let me know how it comes out.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:21am
post #3 of 11

me neither but i will be watching this one to see if this would work ......................

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:21am
post #4 of 11

yeah me too, i would like to know.....

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:23am
post #5 of 11

Haven't tried kool-aid but did a rhubarb cake with jello mix in it gave it a great taste.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 4:29am
post #6 of 11

Haven't done a cake, but I have used it in icing. icon_smile.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 4:31am
post #7 of 11

I have also used jello in a strawberry cake, but never Kool-aid, sounds interesting, let us know if it's any good!

Crimsicle Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 10:08am
post #8 of 11

OK....I'll forge new territory. I want to make a "mimosa" cake. Orange cake frosted with champagne flavored icing. I wanted the cake more "orangey" than orange juice would make it. My grocer was out of orange extract yesterday and I wasn't in the mood to drive somewhere else, so I grabbed a package of orange Kool Aid. I will probably just try a teaspoon or so...certainly not the whole package. I'll let you know Saturday afternoon how it goes. icon_smile.gif

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 11

Koolaid has a Rasberry that is clear and I have added that to a buttercream frosting when I wanted the taste with no color. Taste is okay. Good not Great.

Hint: a pinch goes a long way. Add a tiny amount and add more as you need it. Koolaid is very strong.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 11

i have never heard of it in icing, but boy does it make cakes taste so good!!!! icon_smile.gif

Crimsicle Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 11

Reporting back in. The Kool Aid was a success! I made a mimosa cake. - an orange cake frosted with champagne buttercream. I grated the rind of a large orange into my mixing bowl. Then, I squeezed the juice of the orange into a measuring cup and added enough water to reach the prescribed amount for the recipe. The batter was not nearly "orangey" enough for this situation. So, I added a quarter teaspoon of orange Kool Aid. Better. Added another quarter teaspoon. Very good! It worked WITH the natural flavors from the orange, and tasted very, very good. It colored the batter a little, but not much. I might be tempted to put another quarter teaspoon in next time and maybe a tiny bit of orange coloring. Anyway...it worked very well and the taste is superb. This is the best-tasting cake I've made since I got back into the hobby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%