Marilyn Monroe

Decorating By val_nutrimetics Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 9:43pm by SugarBakerz

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 2:48am
post #1 of 17

Hello everybody out there in CakeCentral Land!

I have searched, and searched again, and I can't for the life of me, find any ideas for a Marilyn Monroe cake!!! icon_cry.gif

I thought about a FBCT but I'm too nervous to try, even though the instructions make it seem easy enough. Plus, I was hoping to do something 'bigger' (for lack of a better word). I really enjoy doing tiered cakes. icon_smile.gif

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance! thumbs_up.gif
Val.

16 replies
southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 2:57am
post #2 of 17

do your choice of tiered cake and make a chocolate transfer of her as the topper icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #3 of 17

bottom tier -- edges look like frames of movie film -- use edible images from her films

top layer -- more frames on edge. -- on top -- a subway vent grate -- and then a cut out of her w/ the skirt flying up! (this one: http://www.gallerym.com/images/work/big/associated%20press_marilyn_monroe_seven_yr_itch_L.jpg )

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:08am
post #4 of 17

You could try the Wilton tier separaters that you put photos into with B&W images of MM in them.

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #5 of 17

What about using andy warhol images in fbct around of the tiers if the cake? That might make a colorful and interesting cake. See the attached picture.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:14am
post #6 of 17

I like the idea of movie film. I would even somehow add diamonds, high heeled shoes, a lipstick kiss...very girly thngs that made Marilyn, Marilyn. Then I absolutely love the idea of her at the top of the cake over a grate! I wish I was doing this cake...how fun!

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:18am
post #7 of 17

Sorry it wouldn't let me attach the image. Here is the link for the image http://www.poster.net/warhol-andy/warhol-andy-marilyn-monroe-portfolio-of-ten-5800015.jpg

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:22am
post #8 of 17

Too bad you don't like the FBCTs. There are so many wonderful pictures of Marilyn, especially silhouettes. Here's the website I went to for my Elvis sil. to do a FBCT. http://www.yeesjob.com/silhouette-catalog.htm

Also, like rstlm already mentioned you could do high heel shoes, lipstick, diamond jewelry and other things like sunglasses and maybe even a reference to Joe DiMaggio (Joe's Yankee uniform shirt) or Prez Kennedy (seal of the President).

cakecarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecarol Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:28am
post #9 of 17

what is an FCTB ???....(new to cake decorating)????? icon_eek.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:32am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecarol

what is an FCTB ???....(new to cake decorating)????? icon_eek.gif

the answer: (with instructions)

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:33am
post #11 of 17

I was thinking like Doug on this one............that would be nice of her pictures, someone on here is doing a Hollywood one like that. Have fun with it.!!!!!! Post some pics for us too.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:34am
post #12 of 17

I love Doug's idea, but the photo he linked reminded me.....

Have you seen the fabulous life-sized Marilyn Monroe cake created by Roland Winbeckler?

Check it out at:
http://www.winbeckler.com/sculptures2.asp#Marilyn%20Monroe

It is simply amazing-- as is all of his posted work!

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:37am
post #13 of 17

I've had this one saved forever because my niece is a Marilyn freak.

You wanted bigger here it is. It is awesome, and BIG.

www.winbeckler.com/sculptures2.asp
LL

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:42am
post #14 of 17

I would print out a Marilyn figure, (the one in the above photo would be great) cut it out and use it as a pattern on a piece of rolled gumpaste. Let the gumpaste dry on both sides, take a Wilton loilipop stick and lay it on the back of the gumpaste, make a strip of fresh gumpaste, moisten it with gum glue and use it to secure the stick to the dried gumpaste. Then print out the same photo on an edible image sheet , cut out and attach to the gumpaste. Stick the sucker stick into the cake top so Marilyn becomes the topper. If you follow Nati's tutorial on gumpaste shoes you could make black strappy high heels to go at the base of the cake. Diamonds of some sort, maybe edible sugar jewels here and there on the top and a few on the sides of the cake. With the shape of this photo you would need to glue a sucker stick on the back of each leg for support and to insert into the cake.

cakecarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecarol Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 4:18am
post #15 of 17

thank u very much doug!!!!....that is awsome!

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 17

Sorry everyone! My computer crashed on me just after I posted my question, and I just got it working again! icon_cry.gif

WOW! I can't believe how fantastic you guys are! The cake that you described would be the perfect one for my friend! I'm so excited to start making it now!

Thank you all a million times!! icon_biggrin.gif

Val.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 17

Just a quick idea..have you seen those baby belly cakes that people are doing, it is like a view of the bust and baby belly draped with a fondant dress? Could you do a marilyn bust and waist draped with a white fondant dress, kinda flipping it up at the end like the infamous over the blower picture? You wouldn't have to do her face or anything.... maybe just put it on a darker colored sheet? Just a thought for a simpler idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%