Fondant Figures

Decorating By Sugarbean Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm by chyna

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:12am
post #1 of 15

I've decided I want to "branch" out. So here is my first attempt at some fondant figures (other than my little babies).

Does anyone else do any figures?? How do you like them? Where do you get your ideas?

14 replies
chyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyna Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:50am
post #2 of 15

I do figures if they're needed for the cakes. I think modeling the figures is my favourite part of decorating!

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:53am
post #3 of 15

Besides sticking some MMF accents on a cake, I had never really done figure modeling until this last week for a cake due tomorrow. I AM HOOKED! I have had so much fun! I have never considered myself artistic and am usually disappointed in my attempts but the tutorials/books make it easy. I am snatching up every polymer clay and sculpy book I can find. Can't wait to post my pix for tomorrow night. A Dog, Cat, Bunny and several mice.

Jenae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenae Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:01am
post #4 of 15

Those are adorable.

I've never used MMF (Plan to later this week) I wasn't sure if it would set up the same as regular fondant. Good info to know! icon_smile.gif

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:18am
post #5 of 15

So Cute!!!

I was just getting ready to post a thread on figure, critters, people, babies, etc. molding. I looked down the list and found this one. I was wanting to 'branch out' too! (Guess it's the start of spring... ha ha ha) Anyway, I was wondering if there is a good book. My Wilton instructor said that any of the clay modeling books were good to look at,.. is there one that's GREAT to get? It doesn't have to be clay modeling, that's just where I've started looking.

Thought's / Comments anyone???

Thanks!

- Paula
(Excuse my sillyness... I'm tired.) icon_biggrin.gif

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:25am
post #6 of 15

i to would love some feedback...i would really like to start modeling with some mmf...any tips would be great!!!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:47am
post #7 of 15

The figures looks great!
It really is addicting! I just made my son a Mario Bros. cake and started out telling him I could only do 4 figures for him, so he had to pick his favorites. I got hooked and kept making stuff until the night I made the cake! I'm going to start practicing whenever I have spare time, it is so much fun!!
I don't have any books or proper tools, I just basically get a picture of what I want to make and practice until it looks right. But when my birthday comes, I know what will be on my wish list!!

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:49am
post #8 of 15

Those are sooo cute Sugarbean! I am finding gumpaste and fondant modelling to be completely satisfying, even when I fail because I always learned something that will make me better! My next purchase wil probably be a clay modelling book. I too would like to know what others have found helpful icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:52am
post #9 of 15

lol I think I have the same clay book!

I prefer the MMF fondant for figure molding. I did 2 dragons, my little blue/purple one with the MMF and the Green Bridegroom with Fondant that I didn't use the gumtex power in..

I like the way the MMF fondant worked and dried better!

stikykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stikykitty Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:57am
post #10 of 15

the other day they had a topic for "tutorial on Figure Modeling" its really cool check it out hope it helps. In the link for the lady that has the tutorial she does have a free demo.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=140901&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:55am
post #11 of 15

I used the MMF plain w/o gumtex in it also and have been completely satisfied. I bouth a polymer clay "tool Kit" at Michaels with my 40 percent off coupon, it has double ended smoothers, needle tips, etc, they have been invaluable for me.

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:01am
post #12 of 15

Sugarbean, your characters are fabulous! I'm glad you enjoyed making them. Modeling with sugar is mostly what I do. I'll be glad to offer any advice that you ask. thumbs_up.gif

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:43am
post #13 of 15

Your fondant figure looks great. I too am starting to try my hand at the 'moulding' of things and it's so far been fun.

I noticed something though and this is not to do with your figurines...lol
I noticed that you have a rubber ring around your rolling pin. If you don't mind sharing, where do you get those from and do they come in varying thicknesses. They would be great to use on rolling out cookie dough.

This is so off topic but I just had to ask.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:56am
post #14 of 15

I suggest you order Lorraine's (Aine2) Tutorial. It is wonderful, she is the most awesome artist & so helpful to everyone, the way she explains things make it so much easier. By the way, those of you who haven't seen Surfgirls latest cake, you have to check it out, it has some of the best modeled animals I have seen. The whole cake is beautiful.

chyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyna Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScakes

Your fondant figure looks great. I too am starting to try my hand at the 'moulding' of things and it's so far been fun.

I noticed something though and this is not to do with your figurines...lol
I noticed that you have a rubber ring around your rolling pin. If you don't mind sharing, where do you get those from and do they come in varying thicknesses. They would be great to use on rolling out cookie dough.

This is so off topic but I just had to ask.

O-rings from a hardware store, if they didn't come with your rolling pin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%