Tips For Straight Lettering

Decorating By ape Updated 17 Jan 2006 , 6:13am by melony1976

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 12

Hey all! I need tips for making your writing straight. I was going to use a pattern press, but my cake is too small (8" square) as the letters in the press kit are too big.

What special tips do y'all have? icon_smile.gif

11 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 12

Someone said if you get your lettering printed and flip it.. You can go over it with piping gel and it gets hard so that you can press it onto your cake. It should work just like your pattern press.. GOOD LUCK

TMM2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMM2001 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 12

I use one of those battery operated laser levels that you buy at any hardware store...I don't think they are all that expensive. I borrowed dh out of his toolbox and oops! never put it back. icon_surprised.gif

ape Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 12

ok brian's baker.....print out letters on computer, reverse and go over with piping gel...then the piping gel will get hard?

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 12

LOL and you then press onto your cake and TADA you have something to trace over.. The impression of you letters..

ape Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 12

cool, i'm going to try that right now!!!! Should it take very long for the piping gel to harden? Will refrigerating help?

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM2001

I use one of those battery operated laser levels that you buy at any hardware store...I don't think they are all that expensive. I borrowed dh out of his toolbox and oops! never put it back. icon_surprised.gif

I love the laser level idea! I've been wanting a good reason to buy one. Cool!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:28am
post #8 of 12

No, the piping gel does not get hard. The point is to gently transfer the piping gel to your cake so you can then pipe over the gel with your buttercream icing.

Make sure your icing has crusted well before attempting this transfer.

Print your message in reverse (or just flip over your printed page so you will be piping the message in reverse).

Place a piece of parchment paper over your flipped/reverse image.

Load a bag with a few tablespoons of piping gel and a tip 2.

Trace your flipped/reverse message in piping gel, making sure to touch your tip down ONLY to start and stop your lines...keep that tip elevated to let the gel fall out in a nice 3D line. Do not overpipe. Keep each stroke of each letter separate.

Once piped, pick up your parchment paper, turn it over, and position your message over your cake where you want it.

Gently set the parchment down on the cake and GENTLY use a decorator's brush (small paintbrush) to trace the entire message. The point is to be gentle enough to transfer the gel to the icing but not smush it so it's just a smear of piping gel. You will be able to see when the gel has adhered to the icing.

Once the message is completely traced, pick a corner of the parchment paper up and carefully peel the paper off the icing.

Voila! Your message is now transferred onto your cake so you can pipe over it with buttercream icing. Your printing is perfect and no one is the wiser! icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 5:02am
post #9 of 12

I thought I read of someone making their own presses with royal icing. They print out the fonts, reverse, then put them on waxed paper or whatever is clear enough. You then press that down after it hardens just like the letter presses.

Kelly

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 5:08am
post #10 of 12

I've got a ? Does the piping gel peel off and stay on the cake ordoes it stay on the paper?

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 5:20am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by melony1976

I've got a ? Does the piping gel peel off and stay on the cake ordoes it stay on the paper?

I tried this method last week and my experience was that it was a little of both. Some stayed on the cake and some on the paper. I lightly tinted the piping gel blue so I could see it against my white icing.
I made the mistake of placing my letters too close together, so when I went over to pipe over the piping gel that I'd transfered to my cake I couldn't make it work. I guess it takes practice just like anything else. I think this is an effective method, but next time I need to be more realistic about the size of font I use! icon_rolleyes.gif

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 6:13am
post #12 of 12

I see,thanks for sharing ur experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%