Starting Business, Need To Know Payment Process....

Business By tsky74 Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm by SweetConfectionsChef

tsky74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsky74 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 7

I am just starting up my cake business in my home. I was wondering, when it comes to wedding cake, how much is best asked for a down payment, to get things going. Should I ask for a certain percentage up front? Also the remainder of payment? Should I ask for it a few days before the wedding cake delivery, or wait to recieve payment upon delivery. I have hear kind of both sides. But curious on what ways work best???? Help... Thanks.

6 replies
qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

i get 25.00 down which is low compared to other decorators. and final payment is due 1 week before delivery, then we can finalize the order, increase or decrease cakes if needed. other decorators in the area require 50.00 - 100.00. you have to go with whats comfortable to you.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 7

There is a lot of good information about the Wedding cake contract here and in one place on earlenescakes.com she has a contract you can adapt for your own. However, if you don't have a licensed business, a contract is probably not enforceable.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 7

I ask 50% of what we "estimate" the cake to cost. Then the final payment is due 2 weeks before the wedding, because I REALLY do not want to chace down a bride to get my $$ after the wedding. And if they neglet to pay me the final payment they forfit their deposit. I have a contract. icon_smile.gif

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 7

I charge a $50.00 nonrefundable deposit to book the date with me. Then I require payment in full 2 weeks before. I also charge a "refundable" deposit for the plastic plates and pillars if they use them and require they be returned within two weeks after the wedding date. It just makes people more accountable, and I charge enough so that it's a bonus of sorts if they don't bring them back to me icon_rolleyes.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 7

I charge a $50 non-refundable deposit up front. That holds the date, and i need a signed contract. The $50 goes toward their total, but if they back out, it's mine to keep. Balance is due no later than one week before the wedding or the contract is void. I also require a separate $50 "damage deposit" at the time the bill is paid in full. That will be returned to the bride when my rented pieces are returned to me in good condition.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 7

I've recently changed my 50% down policy to $150 to reserve the date ($500 for catering and cake) with the final payment due 3 weeks prior to event. So far, I've been happy with it and so have my brides. Everything else in my shop (b-day cakes, ect) are pay when the order is placed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%