Water Spritz & Red Colored Icing

Decorating By siealy Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 4:14pm by ColorBoy

siealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siealy Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:18am
post #1 of 7

I had my first wilton class tonight and the insturctor was telling us when you smooth your cake you should spray it with water (says she has had it dripping before). Is this a method you guys use? Also have you made your own red colored icing and if you have what did you use to color it (paste,gel,etc). Thank you in advance.

6 replies
HiD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HiD Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:53am
post #2 of 7

Unfortunately, not all Wilton teachers teach the same things. I personally try to give helpful information when I can but, I normally hold it until my students have had more experience. On the first night, I stick pretty much with the information in the book. Smoothing in the Wilton book is achieved by allowing the cake to 'crust' and then using a parchment triangle and a spatula, you can smooth out any problem areas. This method works just fine for me. At home though, I do use Viva paper towels and a fondant smoother. I show my students the fondant smoother as well since it is something they will use again and since I find it so much easier to use than the spatula.
The subject of smoothing a cake will get you answers far and wide. There are probably as many ways to achieve a smooth cake as there are icing recipes to try! What works for one, might not work for all. Then again, it just may!!!! All I can suggest is to give several methods a try and see which one works best for you. It's mostly a matter of opinion and experience.

Good Luck and best wishes with finding the way YOU like to do it!!!
thumbs_up.gif Heidi

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:58am
post #3 of 7

I always show my students how to smooth their cake with a spritz of water on the first night of Course 1. Every time without fail, they ooooh and aaahh. It takes all of about 1 minute to get the cake smooth...no waiting, no using parchment (which I have personally always found retarded, no offense to those who use that method), and no effort.

Do experiment and find the method you like best. icon_smile.gif

As far as taking icing from white to red...well, it's going to take a LOT of red paste/gel/liquid/powder. For 1 cup of icing, be prepared to use most of a container of Wilton red gel/paste. Do give it some time to rest and let the color develop, though...colors darken as they sit.

Congrats on beginning the journey of confectionary art! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 7

I spritz too....figured it out on my own then told my instructor.

I use hot water (boiled in tea pot) and I also keep my spatulas in a tall glass filled with hot water. Very easy to smooth (tho' i've don't get it dripping wet.)

Only problems I've run into: 1) water in glass gets cold too fast. 2) have melted two spray bottles by putting in water that was too hot icon_confused.gif

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 7

I've never heard of the spritz method! Share your secrets!

Doug, when I use the hot knife method, I keep a pan of water on a simmer right on the stovetop so the water never cools down. I smooth the cake right next to the stove. Someone on this board shared this tip with me--it works like a charm.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftots

I've never heard of the spritz method! Share your secrets!

Doug, when I use the hot knife method, I keep a pan of water on a simmer right on the stovetop so the water never cools down. I smooth the cake right next to the stove. Someone on this board shared this tip with me--it works like a charm.

duh...now why didn't I think of that?!? THANKS for the great tip! icon_biggrin.gif

ColorBoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColorBoy Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 7

You may want to try AmeriColor Super Red Soft Gel Paste to get a true red. We have developed this color so you will actually get a red. Red and Black are trouble colors in the industry and AmeriColor has solved this delima. Try it you will like it icon_smile.gif Best of all you can order AmeriColor Products from Cake Central for the lowest price available icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%