Flowers For Newbie?

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 4:16pm by shelbur10

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 15

I have never been able to master any icing flowers. A friend has asked for a tea party cake for her 3 y-o. She'd like some simple, spring like flowers on it. Looking through my Wilton book, I can't decide what would be easiest for me to try. I'm thinking of making them in RI. Any suggestions?
TIA!

14 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbur10

I have never been able to master any icing flowers. A friend has asked for a tea party cake for her 3 y-o. She'd like some simple, spring like flowers on it. Looking through my Wilton book, I can't decide what would be easiest for me to try. I'm thinking of making them in RI. Any suggestions?
TIA!

Daisies are really simple. Give them a try.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 15

What I found the easiest were the carnations. The instructiona are in the Wilton book. Not to mention it will help you get used to using a flower nail. The nice thing bout carnations is that you con't have to worry bout exact petals n such, Just use your rose tip (#104) and move it up and down as you turn your nail. Then take yer scissors and take it off the nail. Easy, easy, easy and they look way kewl. Another thing about em is the leaves are nice n long and grass like and you don't have to worry bout getting em to ruffle like you would rose leaves.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 15

Drop flowers are easy as well.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 15

I agree about the daiseys and you can make them in different colors or different color centers! Those turned out to be my favorite and the easiest!

shelbur10 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the suggestions. I just spent forever trying to do a daisy and ended up with a mess!! Maybe I'll try carnations next. I think flowers aren't my thing! I really need to get myself into a Wilton class!!

Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 15

You could also try making daffodils. I just learned making them myself, very easy and look pretty good. I like apple blossoms too.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 15

When I'm in a pinch, the drop flowers are the easiest--any color you want, add a different color dot for the center, and vary the sizes just by changing the size of your star tip.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:34am
post #9 of 15

See now I think daisies are one of the more difficult flowers. It took me a long time to master them. (but if you want to do them, try to flip your tip so the fat side is out. It is easier and prettier than the wilton way imo) I would say that drop flowers are probably the easiest. I think apple blossoms or violets are pretty easy. Oh and pansies are pretty easy.

somethingmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somethingmoore Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #10 of 15

Definetly try the drop flower. They are super easy and if you do them in royal you can do a lot and simply save them in a container for later use. You can create these fun flowers in any color. I am a wilton instructor and these are by far the easiest flower to do for all of my beginners. You can also do these in BC right on the cake. Either way is fine. The instructions are in the Wilton course one book or I'm sure you can find the instructions on wilton's website. Good luck!

shelbur10 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:18am
post #11 of 15

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with some simple drop flowers, polka dots and swirls. In the meantime, I'm going to be doing some serious flower practice!!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:26am
post #12 of 15

I thought pansies were the easiest and the most fun!!

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:18am
post #13 of 15

Mix it up a bit with the spring flowers....the daisy, pansy, apple blossom, and drop flowers....I like to use the tip 2d for those, they are so pretty! Plus you could take the drop flowers, or any of the flowers and use a varation of colors to jazz them up a bit...I like to make white flowers with colored centers, purple with yellow colors...also you could tint the inside of your bag with one color and then add your icing for a different effect. Really it is up to you and what you feel comfortable with...Play with your flowers and see which ones are easier for you to do!

Good luck!!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:47am
post #14 of 15

You can just make some drop flowers and pipe a center in each of them. Daisies are really easy too.

shelbur10 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I chickened out and did drop flowers and cornelli lace. The mom (a close friend) was THRILLED. I gave her a very low 'friend' price and she paid me double. YIPPEE!! It's the tea party cake in my gallery if you'd like to see.
I'm off work next week and will be spending some quality time with my flower nails and my Wilton book!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%