Rose Petal Former

Decorating By SharonZ Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 8:03am by pippilotta

SharonZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonZ Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:34am
post #1 of 22

Does anyone know how to make Rosemary Watson's rose petal former? Would you mind sharing the directions with me? I've pm'd a couple of the petal from this thread and haven't received a reply.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-10284-rose.html+petal+former
Thanks,
Sharon

21 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:50am
post #2 of 22

You can glue plastic spoons down to a masonite or plywood board. Remove the handles first.

You can also use half egg candy molds. We used them for larger petals at a class I took last year.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SharonZ Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:56am
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

You can glue plastic spoons down to a masonite or plywood board. Remove the handles first.

You can also use half egg candy molds. We used them for larger petals at a class I took last year.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa,
Thank you. That will form the cup for the petal right? What do you use to hold the rolled edges on the tip of the rose?
Sharon

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 22

If your gumpaste is made to the right consistency, you should not need anything to hold the rolled edges. We used size 1 double-pointed knitting needles to make the curls, then just placed them in the forms with the curls hanging over the edge of the form. We did not have one petal straighten from lying that way.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SharonZ Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

If your gumpaste is made to the right consistency, you should not need anything to hold the rolled edges. We used size 1 double-pointed knitting needles to make the curls, then just placed them in the forms with the curls hanging over the edge of the form. We did not have one petal straighten from lying that way.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa,
Thank you!
Sharon

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 22

De Nada!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 22

I glule some face up and some face down to get a slightly diff prespective on my petals, but I do the same as Teresa...I don' t even bother with the needles as placing them on the spoons and slightly pushing them they will "roll" on their own.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 22

I didn't realize you could make petals ahead of time. Are you guys saying you make the petals on the form, leave them and then attach them after making a few more?

Or maybe I'm just reading this wrong - I'm confused!

Thanks.

RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 22

ok, let me see if I can explain this a little better. I took Rosemary's class and I love her gumpaste recipe, it rolls REALLY REALLY thin and it's got some other qualities that I can't even explain..lol

ok....so..I set up my "petal former/holder" and I go to town making my petals..

I usually have several of those boards and it so works when I have a big production going.

I then roll,cut, and lay the petals inside the 2 sheets of plastic...then when I have all my petals cut out ..or enough for a few dozen flowers ( cos this does work for other flowers also..) I then vein/thin the edges and place a couple of dozen petals on the spoons or formers, by the time I've done the last one the first one is ready to be placed on the bud.

so..I make dozens and dozens of the buds...with one or 3 petals and let those dry...then I divide my buds into 3rds....1/3 I leave as buds the other 1/3 I make 5 petal roses with and the last 1/3 I make the full blown roses.

When I'm done, I put bumpy foam in dollar plastic boxes and store them for later use. I can make several dozen that way...unfortunately..I dont' have the storage space to do this any more..so I spend a few extra bucks and just buy what I need..lol

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 22

Who is Rosemary Watson, and is her recipe and technique on a website somewhere?

deb

RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Who is Rosemary Watson, and is her recipe and technique on a website somewhere?

deb

Rosemary Watson has retired and I don't know if we can post her recipe..she used to sell a vid with her techniques for 13 extreemly beautiful flowers!

If you can find her vid..."A BAKER'S DOZEN" you will be finding gold!

MomLittr Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 22

Risque, just tried e-bay and found nothing under either her name or the title..... will have to watch for that in the future! BTW, if the recipe is in either a video or published book, would it be wrong/illegal to post it?

deb

RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Risque, just tried e-bay and found nothing under either her name or the title..... will have to watch for that in the future! BTW, if the recipe is in either a video or published book, would it be wrong/illegal to post it?

deb

it's given in her video and you have to buy the video to get it. I dont' know the legalities, but maybe it's already posted on cc...see if you can do a search.. thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 22

I found this at sugarcraft.com under the title, "MAKING PRESSED LACE, BY ROSEMARY WATSON". I haven't tried it--it's definitely different than anything I've ever seen.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/pressedlaceinfo.htm

Mrs. Barloca's Gum Paste
(The one I like best).... Great for Gum Paste dolls
See a photo of a cake I used Gum Paste flowers on
1 Tbs.. Gum Tex *
3 Tbs.. water
1 teas. lemon extract
1 teas. glucose
1 lb. Confectioners' sugar (or to the desired consistency)
* I prefer to mix the gum tex with the Confectioners' sugar - much faster and easier to dissolve.
Sift the powdered sugar and Gumtex together into a large bowl.
Make a "well" for adding the liquids later.
Mix warm water and glucose until glucose is absorbed. Add the lemon extract and, after these ingredients are thoroughly mixed, add small amounts of powdered sugar/Gumtex mixture until you can work the mixture with your hands.
Continue adding small amounts of powdered sugar as you knead the mixture on a table top.
As soon as the mixture is pliable and can be shaped without sticking to your fingers, you've added enough sugar (a pound or more) and the paste is of correct working consistency. If you're not going to use the gum paste mixture immediately, place it in a plastic bag and then in a covered container to prevent drying.
When stored properly, your gum paste will keep for several months.
Gum paste handles best when it is several days old.

Rae

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis52

I didn't realize you could make petals ahead of time. Are you guys saying you make the petals on the form, leave them and then attach them after making a few more?

Or maybe I'm just reading this wrong - I'm confused!

Thanks.

I learned to make my flowers with Rosemarys Video. But its on for VHS and I dont have one anymore. icon_sad.gif
Dont let the petals fully dry, or it Hill be hard to stick to the bud. They need to dry just enough to hold its shape.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:28pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I found this at sugarcraft.com under the title, "MAKING PRESSED LACE, BY ROSEMARY WATSON". I haven't tried it--it's definitely different than anything I've ever seen.

/catalog/gumpaste/pressedlaceinfo.htm

Mrs. Barloca's Gum Paste
(The one I like best).... Great for Gum Paste dolls
See a photo of a cake I used Gum Paste flowers on
1 Tbs.. Gum Tex *
3 Tbs.. water
1 teas. lemon extract
1 teas.
1 lb. Confectioners' sugar (or to the desired consistency)
* I prefer to mix the gum tex with the Confectioners' sugar - much faster and easier to dissolve.
Sift the powdered sugar and together into a large bowl.
Make a "well" for adding the liquids later.
Mix warm water and until is absorbed. Add the lemon extract and, after these ingredients are thoroughly mixed, add small amounts of powdered sugar/ mixture until you can work the mixture with your hands.
Continue adding small amounts of powdered sugar as you knead the mixture on a table top.
As soon as the mixture is pliable and can be shaped without sticking to your fingers, you've added enough sugar (a pound or more) and the paste is of correct working consistency. If you're not going to use the gum paste mixture immediately, place it in a plastic bag and then in a covered container to prevent drying.
When stored properly, your gum paste will keep for several months.
Gum paste handles best when it is several days old.

Rae

Rosemary's recipe has gelatin, corn syrup or glucose and melted Crisco in it, as well as Gum Tragacanth, powdered sugar.

MomLittr Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:05am
post #17 of 22

Thanks Blakes, will have to try this and compare it to the pre-made Wilton stuff......and cost it out to see if any less expensive!

deb

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:12am
post #18 of 22

Here's a link to Jsarnett webshots page. He shows detailed instructions on how to make roses. If this link does not work, go to webshots and search for jsarnett. If you look in my photos the blue roses I did were using his method.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=jsarnett&new=1&source=chromeheader

MomLittr Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:46am
post #19 of 22

I was just in my closet to see if I had glucose and what do I find on the back of the (wilton) tub? icon_confused.gif A gum paste recipe ! icon_eek.gif Almost exactly the same as the one posted, except it calls for more water and no extracts! Like duh, why did I not look on there in the first place! Now to see if I have enough gumtex....maybe will try making a half batch icon_lol.gif

deb

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 2:59am
post #20 of 22

Audraj,
Thank you so much for the link. It is great!

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:02pm
post #21 of 22

You're welcome.

Jeff is the guy who invented the upside down icing technique also.

He hangs out at the sugarcraft1 discussion board. I asked him questions on this former when I wanted to make the roses.

www.sugarcraft1.com/board

pippilotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pippilotta Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:03am
post #22 of 22

I'm new in cake decorating and found this recipe from Rosemary Watson in a PDF-document in the web:

Rosemary's Gumpaste

1 pound box powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon Gum Tragacanth
1/3 cup cold water (less 1 or 2 Tablespoons for a firmer gumpaste)
1 1/2 teaspoons Knox unflavored gelatin
1 Tablespoon Shortening (Cisco/Palmin)
3 Tablespoons Clear corn syrup or Glucose

Combine powdered sugar and Gum Tragacanth in KitchenAid mixer bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir occasionally to heat the entire contents evenly. When ready it should feel warm to the touch.

Meanwhile, soften the gelatin in the cold water in a heatproof glass container (Pyrex measuring cup works well) Allow this to sit 5 to 15 minutes. Melt Shortening and cool a bit. Place glass container of gelatin in a small pan of water, heat till the gelatin is melted and clear. Remove container from hot water and add the glucose or corn syrup and the melted shortening, stir to combine.
I melt the Crisco in a plastic measuring cup in the microwave and I also heat the corn syrup the same way. It just makes it easier to scrape out of the container when adding it to the melted gelatin.

Pour this liquid mixture into the warm powdered sugar/Gum Tragacanth. Mix on low speed till combined, raise speed to high and beat for 5 minutes. The mixture will stiffen up and feel marshmallowy. Scrape out of bowl onto a piece of plastic wrap that has been coated lightly with Crisco. Wrap well and put in sealed ziplock bag which is also coated inside with a film of Crisco. Let sit at room temperature for 12 hours, knead slightly before using.

It work's very good, I made my roses on the attached cake out of it (sorry for my english icon_sad.gif )
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%