Colouring Mmf

Decorating By erinmac Updated 12 Nov 2005 , 2:13am by ntertayneme

erinmac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinmac Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any tips for colouring my MMF without totally staining my hands?Can I mix the colour in my mixer?Any help out there?

5 replies
cocopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocopuff Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 6

I've never worked with the fondant, so I'm not sure if you can use the mixer but if you have to use your hands plastic gloves will keep your hands from stains. I've seen them at some of the cake supply stores.

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 6

I color mine when I melt the marshmallows. In other words, when I pull it out of the microwave and the marshmallows are liquid I add in color. I make it a bit darker than what I want it because it will lighten when I add the sugar. It works better....no mess and no crazy extra kneading!!

Berta

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

As was suggested, gloves work great. icon_smile.gif You can look for some food ones. I have also used latex gloves found in the pharamacy area of the grocery stores. The latex gloves usually come in different sizes and I can find ones that fit my small hands better.

You can also use crisco, which is what I do 99% of the time. Coat your hands with a small amount (usually about 1/2 teaspoon or less.) Make sure you open your color and get your toothpicks out before you do this. If you are coloring something really dark you may have to add more crisco to your hands.

When you are done, wash your hands and the color should come off with out a problem. The crisco coats your skin and keeps the colors from actually touching you. icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 1:42am
post #5 of 6

I have started using my KA mixer to mix my MMF. I add the color after the MMF is totally mixed good. Berta's suggestion was good too. I've never done it that way. Cool!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 2:13am
post #6 of 6

I add my color to the melted marshmallows and then add the confectioner's sugar.. this is good if you're coloring the entire cake the same color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%