Cake Business Software Management

Business By piramirez Updated 9 Jul 2015 , 2:59pm by -K8memphis

piramirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piramirez Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 11

I have been trying to organize my business and wanted to see if anyone used specialized software to help achieve this. I have looked at Bakery Buddy, but I don't care to pay $125 a year for the license. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 11

..a friend of mine mentioned something called www.menupro.com ....but I haven't really checked into it yet!

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 11

I got my fiance to make a spreadsheet for me - a "model". It took months of begging and nagging, and its almost complete.
You need to get someone who works in finance or some field that "builds models" and offer them cakes to build it for you (lol). It's better then general software in my opinion b/c it tailors your business to you. For example, I buy from a few diffent places - my boards from one, my fondant from another, some shipping costs with some stuff. So it takes all that into account. I put in all my recipes and ingrediants and how much each ingrediant costs.
He set up the model to define units of measure - so I buy 5 lbs of sugar but I am only going to use 3 cups in a certain cake -- the model figures out the cost of 3 cups! And - when I put an order in, i say, chocolate cake, 2 12inch pans, 2 9inch pans, 2 6inch pans 5 GP roses, 1 cake bard, 1 ribbon, whatever the pounds of fondant, etc --- and it just gives my total costs. The variable cost is the labor hours (I'm working on that now -- figuring out how long certain tasks actually take). It's pretty cool.
Find someone to do it for you -- local college kid w/ a business major. I am pretty good with spreadsheets, but doing this involves linking the pages with each other (refering to info on page 2 to get an answer for page 6, etc) and things that are beyond me.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 11

I have a friend of mine working on a database program for me. It's much better than using a spreadsheet because it's more dynamic. Initially I started to make a spreadsheet but it was just not flexible enough. Too Many changes to be made if something unusual came up. He suggested I make a database so I said sounds good to me get To work LOL... So I am waiting for him to finish it up.

Princess

PerryStCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 11

Is it MS Access? Maybe that's a good idea too.

That's a great program - I use it in "my real job".
Hm. should have thought of that.

I just saw my fiance building "models" for this complicated companies all the time and I was like - hey - do that for me! I'm easier then those companies! And it takes these guys almost not time to do it. (i begged and begged and part I was finished in one evening, then, weeks go by, I nag and nag, and part II was done in another evening...now I need finish my input on the labor hours and then another nag fest will occur, then we'll be done!) LOL

PerryStCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 11

My fiance charges apple pie. So, that's not too bad.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 5:24am
post #7 of 11

I don't know a bakery software application, but you could use ACCESS! If you are familiar with Microsoft Excel you will find ACCESS1 relatively easy to operate.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 11

AI'm having trouble flagging this last response by "expresscloset", seems they have posted their eBay ad twice now in old threads. For those that see this looking for business software management, there are plenty of other more helpful/recent threads than this one.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 11

AI'm having trouble flagging this last response by "expresscloset", seems they have posted their eBay ad twice now in old threads. For those that see this looking for business software management, there are plenty of other more helpful/recent threads than this one.

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 11

I have the "old" pricing matrix (excel) from years ago on Wilton's website. I haven't used it in years since I have not done cakes in about 7-8 years. I am in the process of getting my CFO so I can sell cakes, and other treats. I guess I need to open that up now. I know it had the base of using cake mixes and since the last year I have been dabbling in scratch, so don't know if it will work for me.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 11

cakemom -- could i kindly suggest that you repost your question in a new thread this one is current this year but it was started 10 years ago and you will get more attention if you start a new one --

best of the best to you in your new cake endeavors (i used cake boss briefly before i retired and i liked it but i would probably have eventually paired it with quick books because i really love qb but before eventually happened i retired

tmi but anyway start a new one if you want and check out cake boss they are a featured sponsor on here 

best of the best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%