Dawn's Sugarveil Recipe

Decorating By JQ102 Updated 17 Feb 2015 , 8:03pm by nellirosas

JQ102 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JQ102 Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 4

Hello cakers, this may be a really silly question but bear with me as I'm relatively new to caking.

I've spent quite a bit on tools etc. and wanted to save money making my own edibles where possible. So I made Dawn's recipe (followed religiously) which I found on here (thank you) and unbelieveably they set and better still I was able to remove the lace without breaking - result!  So the question is, are they meant to taste of rubber, not my sort of thing to eat rubber...!! 

So I guess it's the tylose, but I can't help wondering if eaters are meant to remove them from cupcakes, cakes etc. before consuming - in my humble opinion that doesn't make any sense.  I had some RI and added a little to a spoonful and tried on the mould but it won't spread properly and I simply do not have enough knowledge to figure this out myself.

Have I got an old recipe and if not how do people eat this OR how can I make it edible and does the 'real' sugarveil/lace taste of rubber?

1 Tbsp Tylose

1/4 cup BOILING Water – (I used ¾ cup)

1Tbsp confectioner sugar

2 level tbsp corn starch

1/4 tsp meringue powder/egg white powder

1/2 tsp. corn syrup

Pinch of white icing color or one of your choice color

Any insight anyone can provide would be welcomed with open arms.  Thanks

3 replies
teacheribis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teacheribis Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

I never made this recipe, but something sound terribly wrong.  Tylose doesn't have a real distinctive taste to it. I mean it sort of tastes like cornstarch. Totally edible, but with that being said, I wouldn't eat a bunch of sweets with it.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 4

Its pretty, its non toxic and makes a professional finish on a cake. Do I want to eat it, no, nor do I want to eat gumpaste flowers.

I could without poisoning myself but I'd break teeth and it would taste of hard compressed sugar.

These "edible" decorations are just that really, decorations loaded with sugar and gum of some description.

nellirosas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellirosas Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 4

I made this and when I bake it... the sugarveil gets crispy. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%