Airbrush Color, Can You Use It To Paint Cake Pops Without The Machine?

Decorating By mszdee Updated 17 Nov 2014 , 6:15pm by mszdee

mszdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mszdee Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 11

AHeyyyy guys! I am new here!i am making about 200 cake pops this weekend. I made a mistake ordering Americolor Gold Sheen Airbrush Color for a regular Gold Gel/Paste Food Coloring. I do not want to return it. So, my question is, can I use the Gold Sheen Airbrush Color to paint my cake pops with just regular painting brush? I would reallllly appreciate if any one can answer! Thankssss:D

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 12:47am
post #2 of 11

I see no reason why not.   Regular air brush colors can be used.  If you find it a bit too liquid-y try adding a bit of cornstarch to thicken it, but that probably will change the color a bit.

ConfectioneryH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectioneryH Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 11

Hi mszdee!

Are you painting over the cake pops dipped in candy coatings? If so, in my experience gel and liquid/air brush colors ball up when painting on candy coatings. I find that using the Ameri Color edible food markers work well for this. Oil candy colors would probably work. However, if your packaging your cake pops in any type of wrapper/clear bag they would probably smudge.

Just my advice, however maybe using the gel color has worked for you before? It just hasn't worked for me.

If you do use the airbrush color, let us know how it worked! :)

Here are a few of my cake pops that I used the ameri color markers on (the leopard print and zebra)

-Ashley

mszdee Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely try the airbrush gold food coloring I have later. I will let you know!!

mszdee Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you so much for your reply!

I never thought about putting cornstarch for thickening! That sounds awesome. I will let you know how it comes out as I am going to try it later!

mszdee Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 11

These are beautiful!!

kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 11

..........my experience gel and liquid/air brush colors ball up when painting on candy coatings.........

Oh my, yes.  I totally forgot about that.  You still can use the color on choco IF you prepare it 1st by giving the choco a very light spray of baking spray - like Baker's Joy - then lightly wipe it w/a paper towel.

ConfectioneryH Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 11

I've never thought to do that! See you do learn something new every day :) Will the colors smudge off after they are painted on over the baking spray? Now I'm intrigued...I must try this!  Thanks for sharing this tip.

-Ashley

kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 11

ConfectionaryH It's been ages since I have tried this.  The tip came from the "Original" Cakelady - Frances Kuyper.  I've seen her do it.  As well as I can remember after a drying time the color becomes set and will not smudge.   You just want a very thin coating of Baker's joy on there.  Yes, other brands of spray probably will work just as well but that's the one she used yrs ago when she taught this technique :)

ConfectioneryH Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 11

That is great to know :) I'll give it a try the next time I make cake pops. It's a handy piece of advice I can offer our customers in the future as well. 

mszdee Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 11

A[ATTACHMENT=2005]20141115_185902.jpg (2,478k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%