I completed the PME Diploma course at a Cook School in Ireland 2012 ( Brennan's in Cork) I did the modules one at a time, - over 15 weeks. However there were a few students in the Sugar Paste class who did ALL 3 modules that same week. They found it a huge challenge, but very rewarding - the main incentive being the PME Master's Certificate in Cake Decorating Award, which would enhance their career/business prospects - on successful completion of the modules: Royal Icing, Sugar Paste and Sugar Flowers. I admired them for their courage, commitment and determination to succeed!
I have been making cakes for family and friends over the years - as a hobby. However with more time on my hands on retirement, I decided to pursue the PME course to learn new techniques. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. My username picture (Kate's Christening Cake) was the cake presented for assessment of Sugar Paste module. Most of the cakes in my photo albums I made since I finished the course.
If you want to do the whole course in a week then go for it!
- Time Mangement is a key factor - practice and preparation between classes is a must!
- Do as much foilage and flower fillers at home as is possible, for Sugar Flowers Presentation
- Try a get a list of Materials and Tools required in advance, and buy what you need only
- Have a read through the module booklets in advance of the classes
- If you have some previous hands-on experience, you will be able to pace yourself easier.
- I found watching tutorials on U-Tube very helpful
- Use Cake Central as a platform for knowledge, help and support ( I got to hear about CC while I was on the course)
I wish you every success with the course - go follow your dream!!!