Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Decisions.Decisions.....Need helpful advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Decisions.Decisions.....Need helpful advice - Page 2

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

As someone whose frail mom is coming home today from a hospital stay....please do NOT become a nurse because you say it's a job and always in demand.

Nursing has to be a passion. The best nurses are passionate and caring, and aren't there for the money.



First - sorry your mom has been ill.

I agree that the best nurses consider it a passion, but I also see it as a very diverse field that does not always involve direct patient care. There is initial grunt work dues to pay, but once done, nursing has many many avenues to choose from. It is also one of the few professions that allows you to have a very tailored schedule based on the economy and your financial needs.

One of my children is a nurse practitioner. She took years off to raise her children and fell right back into a great position when the time was right to stop being a full time homemaker. Her passion changed from clinical to management. It flowed rather well.

I think you have to look at your entire life. You have to se eyour dreams beyond your 8 - 12 hour work day and plan for your future. If you are unsure and truly feel that baking is your only passion, maybe spend a year working for someone else in the baking world to see the larger picture of the baking profession. You may find that you don't love it as a 'have to' job, or you may just soar with it.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne3

One thing I do know is that your profession (whether you love it or not) is a PART of your life. Make sure you protect your ability to have a financial quality of life that affords you things like a standard of living, medical insurance and a pension.



This is excellent advice. OP, I take it that you are a young professional, so things like pensions and health insurance may not be as high on your radar right now. But they will be--and with a soft economy right now, going into business for items that rely on disposable income may not be the best long-term idea.

Nursing offers a variety of different career fields. You could also mesh your love of helping with your passion for culinary arts and look into becoming a nutritionist. And nothing is stopping you from continuing to bake for friends and family; you can still do this without the hassle of contracts, last-minute orders, complaining customers, etc.
post #18 of 26
I totally agree with most views. Get your degree, it's always great to have a back up plan. I have 3 degrees and I am really thinking of opening up a store where I can make cakes and do make up ( I am a licensed make up artist too). More is more and in this world.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne3

One of my children is a nurse practitioner. She took years off to raise her children and fell right back into a great position when the time was right to stop being a full time homemaker. Her passion changed from clinical to management. It flowed rather well.



No doubt your daughter studied biology in high school, to be admitted to a nursing program in the first place. She worked as a nurse for some years. Then she earned her masters degree to attain the NP certification.

But somebody like the OP who has done culinary school shouldn't need the degree in marketing to be a good baker. They should have been placed into one or more work rotations that would teach them the hands-on skills. Most culinary schools offer the specialized bakery training as an add-on.

I worked in restaurants for my first 2 jobs. Learned enough there to be able to manage a research lab as soon as I finished my bachelors degree. Didn't need an MBA or any other piece of paper to do a job well--just the hands-on stuff.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne3

Quote:
Quote:

As someone whose frail mom is coming home today from a hospital stay....please do NOT become a nurse because you say it's a job and always in demand.

Nursing has to be a passion. The best nurses are passionate and caring, and aren't there for the money.



First - sorry your mom has been ill.

I agree that the best nurses consider it a passion, but I also see it as a very diverse field that does not always involve direct patient care. There is initial grunt work dues to pay, but once done, nursing has many many avenues to choose from. It is also one of the few professions that allows you to have a very tailored schedule based on the economy and your financial needs.

One of my children is a nurse practitioner. She took years off to raise her children and fell right back into a great position when the time was right to stop being a full time homemaker. Her passion changed from clinical to management. It flowed rather well.

I think you have to look at your entire life. You have to se eyour dreams beyond your 8 - 12 hour work day and plan for your future. If you are unsure and truly feel that baking is your only passion, maybe spend a year working for someone else in the baking world to see the larger picture of the baking profession. You may find that you don't love it as a 'have to' job, or you may just soar with it.



I <3 Nurse Practitioners icon_biggrin.gif my husband and I are sick today and are soo very THANKFUL that he is attending a university with a health and counseling center. The ladies that are there are wonderful and they are always telling me how much they love what they do, because they are helping students and it's not strenuous. icon_smile.gif just my lil opinion since it applied today.
It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
It's not "just" cake...it's my life!
WI State Representative for Icing Smiles...start 'Baking a Difference" today!
Reply
post #21 of 26
After reading each post, I have to laugh....truly, I sincerely respect each comment but, the irony. I am a geriatric nurse. I have worked with geriatrics since I was a kid and now I'm 38. Nursing is so much more difficult than people think... regardless of what field your working in.The irony is, that I have been making cakes for family and co-workers on the side and have thought about putting my nursing degree on the back burner and making cakes full time. Sort of a backwards perspective in the original intention of the author of this post. I am constantly bombarded w/ requests for cakes. As of recent, I have declined making any more cakes for the public as I just dont have the time w/out stealing it away from my three children and already working 40hrs/wk. But, I really miss it and as a result, a part of me feels greatly deprived. I live in the suburbs of a metropolis. My husband is an insanely talented artist who has helped me w/ past cakes when I have needed help figuring out a technique, and he's never even baked a cake!...he reminds me of the Amazing Mike guy....just raw know how talent by simply looking at something. Sickening! lol! Anyway, my point is, I think between the two of us, we could do really well if we collectively opened a cake shop beginning in our kitchen where our state oks that. However, Im not so sure I want to attempt the risk of losing my benefits; health (primary $ winner and health insurance policy holder)...let alone the security of knowing Im going to receive a paycheck and my bills will be paid each month.....alot at stake opening your own business...just so unsure about the risks.
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
I am glad to hear everyones point of view. I am blessed in the sense that my college will be paid for entirely. I feel as if I have one time to try and get it right to be set financially for my future. I have worked with a hospital before, it was a good experience but I was on the admin side. I was thinking maybe I should try for nursing because I am caring and like to help people but at the same time its not a passion for me. I like how Lynne3 said being a nurse is a diverse field and doesn't always mean dealing directly with patients. Its more about security for me something to fall back on but I am seeing that a degree in Business Admin is right up there with medical degrees. Which like Step0nmi mentioned business admin will give me an overall look into owning a business as oppose to marketing which is a small aspect of it. I can see this being a win win situation with a business admin degree. Thanks everyone
post #23 of 26
Baking is my passion and I do it because I want to, because its fun for me and frankly I'm very selfish about my passion and the reasons why I do it. I listen to so many people say they do things for others benefit and that provides enjoyment to them but I would bake without a customer because I find decorating the cake to be relaxing and enjoyable of its own merit.

I have a career on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm a mortician by trade. I've been in the funeral business ALL of my life, it is a career I knew I was destined to have and yes I enjoy it. But as you can imagine "happiness" is not an everyday part of the job, I see so many people on what is arguably the worst times of their lives. I enjoy doing something to counteract what I can potentially see on a day to day basis.

I have the business acumen to open a cake shop, I have the expertise I think to make a really successful store front but that is crossing the line from a passion to a career for me and I don't want to do that. Making their cake puts a smile on my face, that is why I bake. The smile on my customer's face is added bonus. Its hard sometimes to get my other business customers to reach that point.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaivyleaf

Baking is my passion and I do it because I want to, because its fun for me and frankly I'm very selfish about my passion and the reasons why I do it. I listen to so many people say they do things for others benefit and that provides enjoyment to them but I would bake without a customer because I find decorating the cake to be relaxing and enjoyable of its own merit.

I have a career on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm a mortician by trade. I've been in the funeral business ALL of my life, it is a career I knew I was destined to have and yes I enjoy it. But as you can imagine "happiness" is not an everyday part of the job, I see so many people on what is arguably the worst times of their lives. I enjoy doing something to counteract what I can potentially see on a day to day basis.

I have the business acumen to open a cake shop, I have the expertise I think to make a really successful store front but that is crossing the line from a passion to a career for me and I don't want to do that. Making their cake puts a smile on my face, that is why I bake. The smile on my customer's face is added bonus. Its hard sometimes to get my other business customers to reach that point.



SOOOOOO well said! thumbs_up.gif
post #25 of 26
Well a look at nursing from a patient's eye. Several years ago I had a medical nightmare that was made a nightmare by a very callous and uncaring doctor.

My condition was made worse by this doctor and so I had more hospital stays than I should have needed. So. I met a LOT of nurses in this process. You could tell from the get-go who loved their job and who didn't, and I can only think back and remember one name. It was the nurse that was supposed to "observe" me because I was supposed to go home, and due to an emergency they had to keep me overnight. She started her shift, wrote her name on the board and left. Several hours later I was losing consciousness and I couldn't move. I could barely think, and I couldn't move to press buttons on the call thing. For an hour I watched the clock and fought to stay "with it", no one ever checked back. In the middle of the night a woman came in, I couldn't even open my eyes, she needed me to sign something and I was barely able to speak, but SHE helped me. She stayed there and listened as I tried to speak. At one point she said, oh, I'll check back and I managed to get through to her that I wasn't okay and SHE pressed the call button.

Needless to say OTHER people came, I needed oxygen and she had turned it off at the beginning of her shift without ever checking back.

No, I have no idea what ever happened to her, I never saw anyone else until the shift change in the morning. When the new nurse came in and told me how much I had to pee to go home I looked her straight in the eye and told her to start bringing me ginger ale and I would start peeing.

That's the other thing, the post-op nurse said that I needed lots of fluids all night, I could have water, broth or ginger ale. I was NEVER offered a drink by this nurse, not even ice. My mouth was so dry by morning that I thought it would never go back to normal.

I don't think that girl liked her job. I stayed overnight before that night, I had er trips and other overnights after that night and I never had treatment like that. I don't know what would have happened to me if the woman with the paperwork had not come in, because after the oxygen was turned back on I still had NOT ONE PERSON check on me until the shift change that morning. I didn't sleep because I really thought at the time that I would die there.

When I have been at work (bakery) and things were really nuts, during the holidays, the cake season, whatever. I was tired, cranky and stressed beyond belief, but at the end of the day I looked forward to the next day because I loved my job. If you are tired and stressed and you DON'T love your job that's when you stop caring. Nursing is NOT a profession to be in if you stop caring.

And my Aunt just told me that at her hospital they are laying off nurses, LPNs to RNs. It's not a guaranteed job in any economy.
Always put your eggs in one basket.......why do you want to carry two?
Reply
Always put your eggs in one basket.......why do you want to carry two?
Reply
post #26 of 26
Whatever you decide to do, you need to realize that it will be work, not fun, after a while.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Decisions.Decisions.....Need helpful advice