Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › A Thread for all UK bakers!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Thread for all UK bakers!! - Page 199

post #2971 of 23062
Thanks LisaPeps that is a great help on the what size cake for 100 people.
Loving this site so many helpful tips. Just need to find my way round icon_smile.gif
post #2972 of 23062

Thank you LisaPeps, I've heard about adding violet to the buttercream, and I keep thinking it's just not gonna work for me haha ....... but I think I will try it out and see if I can do that without messing it up :)    I was thinking of just using the trex and adding a flavour to it, do you think that would be ok? or would that taste horrible??

post #2973 of 23062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea17 View Post

Thank you LisaPeps, I've heard about adding violet to the buttercream, and I keep thinking it's just not gonna work for me haha ....... but I think I will try it out and see if I can do that without messing it up icon_smile.gif    I was thinking of just using the trex and adding a flavour to it, do you think that would be ok? or would that taste horrible??

Honestly, do your normal buttercream. The violet works wonders!

This post explains about the colour wheel

http://www.lilaloa.com/2012/05/lets-talk-about-hue.html?m=1

This one mentions the violet too

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091221122326AATR7Lu

I wouldn't do all trex, if I'm making buttercream it's going to use all butter hence the name of it. But that's a personal preference. I have made indydebs all shortening icing (recipe on here) and it was sickly sweet and tasted greasy.
post #2974 of 23062
I always use the Hummingbird vanilla cupcake and chocolate cupcake recipes. They have never failed me yet. if you are making a larger cake say 8 inch i just found a great recipe on BBC Good foood light lemon sponge. I just omit the lemon and use vanilla extract. its lovely and light and stays moist for days. happy baking
post #2975 of 23062
Groupon are advertising a hand held steamer for £19.99 (+£5.99 p&p)

https://m.groupon.co.uk/deals/worcester/Product-Mania/16277764

That's the mobile link, you'll have to go to www.groupon.co.uk and look for it If you're on a laptop or computer.

Steaming fondant creates a shine, cleans off powdered sugar or cornstarch and sets any luster dusts or powder colours you have used.

I'm not affiliated with groupon or product mania, just like to share bargains!
post #2976 of 23062

Hello, it has took me 2 days to get to page 45, so i am going to catch up through the week,  but i had to peek at the end. 

So hello nice to see a UK thread, i am also new, very new to cake making a new hobby of mines, i have only mad 3 cakes to this date, lol so hoping to learn loads on here and make new friends.

 

xxxx

post #2977 of 23062
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps View Post


Honestly, do your normal buttercream. The violet works wonders!

This post explains about the colour wheel

http://www.lilaloa.com/2012/05/lets-talk-about-hue.html?m=1

This one mentions the violet too

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091221122326AATR7Lu

I wouldn't do all trex, if I'm making buttercream it's going to use all butter hence the name of it. But that's a personal preference. I have made indydebs all shortening icing (recipe on here) and it was sickly sweet and tasted greasy.

cool, I will definitely try that, thanks again ........ got to get some violet colouring first hopefully this week, im  still trying to build my box of colours up :) 

 

I've been asked to do a handbag cake in February.... eek, not made one before so this will be a challenge lol

post #2978 of 23062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea17 View Post

cool, I will definitely try that, thanks again ........ got to get some violet colouring first hopefully this week, im  still trying to build my box of colours up icon_smile.gif 

I've been asked to do a handbag cake in February.... eek, not made one before so this will be a challenge lol

I've made 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74193933@N07/8398359427/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74193933@N07/8398359491/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74193933@N07/8398359471/in/photostream/lightbox/

They were quite easy actually. The white one I used Paul Bradford's online course and the red one I used this tutorial http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/chanel-classic-handbag-cake.html?m=1

Just make sure you use a cake which lends well to carving. On each occasion I used chocolate mud cake.
post #2979 of 23062
Oh wow I love them!! Thanks for the tips icon_smile.gif. I'll post pics when I've made it.
post #2980 of 23062
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps View Post

I use this to work out serving sizes of each cake.

A 12"/9"/6" round will serve 106 or a 10"/8"/6" square will serve 100 or two 9"x13" sheet cakes will serve 100.

HTH

Just realised I didn't add a link to this... http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

That's the link I use to work out what sized cakes I need.
post #2981 of 23062

Hi Lisa peps,was readind through the uk posts and very interesting and helpfull you all are,could you tell me how much cake mix to use on a 9x13 cake pan as i have just been given one.(second hand). Thank you.

post #2982 of 23062
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl1 View Post

Hi Lisa peps,was readind through the uk posts and very interesting and helpfull you all are,could you tell me how much cake mix to use on a 9x13 cake pan as i have just been given one.(second hand). Thank you.

I usually just double my recipe. You need about the same amount as a 12".
post #2983 of 23062

Thank you.

post #2984 of 23062

Hi everyone, its been a while since I posted here. I see loads of people are joining! That's fantastic! icon_biggrin.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmzbubbles View Post

hi, I'm just starting out in cake decorating and so far have only been learning by book's. what have people fount to be the best way to learn by book's, taking a course or by watching videos.

 

Lilmzbubbles

 

Like Lesapep, I am a self taught cake maker. I learnt from the books and the internet. I also don't want to spend so much money on classes. But I did learn to make few different flowers from Alan Dunn. I think that is well worth every penny. Then I bought some tutorials from Lorraine McKay on making people. That was also worth it. The rest from books and youtube too! The main thing is to practice and find what works best for you. HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

If you put your heart and soul, there's nothing you cannot do!
Reply
If you put your heart and soul, there's nothing you cannot do!
Reply
post #2985 of 23062

Hi,

I am new to this thread - anyone got any good reciepes for MMF? :/ My head and eyes hurt from scrolling through the internet! x

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cupcakes!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › A Thread for all UK bakers!!