Anyone Have This Pan?

Decorating By Zmama Updated 28 Dec 2006 , 7:30pm by cryssi

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 33

It's the 3D snowman pan -
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku7072176/index.cfm?pkey=cxmsbkgi&cm%5Fsrc=None

My fiance wants to get it for me because I LOVE snowmen. However, the example cake they had at the store was sliding apart at the seam, terribly iced, etc, and it made me leery about getting it.

Good idea, bad idea? It's baked as front/back and then put together. Anyone have experience with this type of construction?

32 replies
mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 33

I was eyeballing that pan as well. You'd think they'd have their display cakes decorated....more professionally...
Anyways, I think it would be fine as a standing snowman if you doweld him in two spots horizontally, that way he wouldn't be able to slip appart. I'm sure you can decorate him nicer as well...LOL

dolphin1590 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphin1590 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 33

I think that maybe if you use hardening icing in between the two cakes it will be fine. If not you could always put both halves flat on a cake platter.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 33

candy melts as the glue.

Zmama Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 33

My fiance suggested wrapping him in fondant to hold together easier. Think it would work? Or be too difficult?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 33

would work after glue and doweling (i'd do both for safety)...and would give a very smooth finish...just lots of little nooks to work it into.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 33

DH just bought it for me tonight - I am a little afraid of how it is going to turn out, trun I am never impressed with the store cake displays. I mean they don't have to be ultra professional, but they could be a little nicer. If anyone is brave enough to try fondant on this I'd LOVE to see a picture!

I was trying to figure out how I could get sanding sugar evenly sprinkled over the whole thing before the icing crusts over...

Zmama Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 33

I would think sprinkling from the top would give the snow effect. Read here that you can put some in your hand and blow it on, if it's for family.

Did you get the pan only, or the one with the smores mix and spatula?

SweetResults Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 33

Bummer! Did not see the one with the Smores mix and spatula! icon_cry.gif

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 33

I bought this just before Thanksgiving and I hate it. I baked it four differnt times- I greased, greased and floured, buttered, and even tried the spray. It always tore when I would turn it out on a cooling rack.

Let me know when you bake it - how it turns out - and then tell me what you did - maybe I will try again.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 33

I would glue with candy melts and dowel at a slant from one side to the other before the melts hardened completely. If you put it BACK in the mold while the melts hardened, that might help with gravity pushing the sides together...
Let us know, someone!

Zmama Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 33

Anyone brave enough to try?

7yyrt Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 33

I'm interested in the pan too, so I have sent them an e-mail about it, if they answer I will post it here.

kellykake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellykake Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 33

I have the pan, but only made the front of the snowman and laid him down on a cake board. I have the Santa stand up pan, made that one (both sides), frosted w/buttercream (inside and out) and put two dowels in horizontally. Held up fine.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 5:56pm
post #15 of 33

When I first looked at it and read your first post I thought instantly you could dowel it at the top of the belly as well as the bottom of the tushy lol.... going from front of back and then cover in maybe poured fondant (never done it before so excuse me if it's a huge no no lol) or maybe buttercream icon_smile.gif

Tricia0312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tricia0312 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 33

Well, I tried it yesterday (I actually have a "Help" post on this)

It was beautiful for about 10 minutes before it fell over and broke.

It only took about 3 hours to make the cake and frosting!

Their buttercream recipe called for regular sugar and you had to cook it? Maybe it would "glue" together better with regular buttercream?

I am not sure about dowling it - how woudl you take the dowels out before serving? The cake is not that large that you could cut around it.

Maybe next time I would sue the 3d recipe from here and make some attempt to dowel it.

Very dissapointing! icon_sad.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:12pm
post #17 of 33

I've made this snowman many times.....last year, and every time he fell over!! you have to use a pound cake or it will fall over, no matter how many dowls you put in him.

melody

Zmama Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:31pm
post #18 of 33

Thank you for all the info! As much as I LOVE snowmen, this pan is a no go.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 11:54pm
post #19 of 33

I've been eyeballing that pan as well...icon_biggrin.gif can't wait to see how everyone's turns out...

edit: just saw everyone's responses...maybe I'll pass...lol

SweetResults Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:02am
post #20 of 33

On the Food Network Cartoon Cake Challenge they used Choc Ganache to hold the Scooby Doo mummy's coffin to the cake board then tilted it upright - maybe ganache would work?

I'm gonna try it this weekend - I'll let you know how it goes!

Tricia0312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tricia0312 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:45pm
post #21 of 33

melodyscakes - would you make the cke again using the pound cake and dowels - do you think that this would work?

I am determined to get this one!!

7yyrt Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 11:54pm
post #22 of 33

Well, Williams_Sonoma never got back to me about this pan. Did any of you try it?

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 12:06am
post #23 of 33

I wonder if you got two of the pans and filled and clamped them together like you do on the 3-D Wilton pans if that would work. Yeah, you would have 2 snowmen, but I think a cake could use 2! Or I wonder if there is a way to cut the pan in 2 halves and clamp the pan together to make one.

Zmama, maybe you should make one and decorate it and take it in to Williams-Sonoma and then maybe they will commission you to do all of the other holiday cakes for them. Just tell them you noticed theirs was falling apart and thought they could use a display model.

cryssi Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 4:46pm
post #24 of 33

I broke down and bought the pan this weekend, despite all the problems...mainly b/c it was on sale for $16.99 at W/S! lol, um, I hope my gingerbread cake works in it...

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 4:57pm
post #25 of 33

i saw this pan yesterday on ebay for 20 dollars and plus the shipping good luck

cryssi Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 6:43am
post #26 of 33

just made an eggnog cake. slid right out of the pan with no problems! seems a little flimsy, so we'll see if it stands up once I put it together...

7yyrt Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 12:32am
post #27 of 33

Several people have said they were baking this...Any luck so far? Inquiring minds want to know...

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 12:42am
post #28 of 33

I also had my eye on that pan, I too want to know who was successful and what they did.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 12:55am
post #29 of 33

Are you talking about the 3 D stand up snowman pan? I have used this pan several times. The first thing I question is why are you baking two halves? I use a mix that I add a package of instant pudding to make it more stable. It ends up more like a pound cake. I use nonstick baking spray to coat the pan before filling. The directions that came with my pan says to fill the front half of the pan to the top with batter, then to secure the back half to the front half with wire through the holes in the pans. I used floral wire. Set the pan on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 till cake tester comes out clean in the hole provided in the pan. The cake rises to the top and makes a perfect snowman. You will have to trim the bottom flat for it to stand up. Then I used bamboo skewers to anchor the cake to the board or to the base cake. I used the snowman pan for the friendly monster cake in my gallery. I hope this helps you all.

OOPs Just realized I am talking about a different pan. SORRY icon_redface.gif

SweetResults Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 4:10am
post #30 of 33

I tried it - used 2 cake mixes - one in each side - still did not rise properly and the top half of both sides did not fill in - even though the bottom of each was Way over filled!!! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%