Can You Put Sliced Fruit ?

Decorating By partyhelper Updated 8 Feb 2007 , 6:42pm by partyhelper

partyhelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partyhelper Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hello ,
I have someone who wants sliced fruit between the layers of a cake. I've seen this in a book some where , but I was wondering can this be done in a stacked cake? I think I remember seeing a ring of icing like you would use for jams or preserves. What kind of friut could I use ? How early could I start it? Or would the whole thing just slide off and become a nightmare?
Help!
Thanks

8 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

i am sure its possible, but depending on how its done, you may end up with soupy icing or soggy cake. i would recommend a fruit puree filling instead. i make a rather simple one that tastes fresh and yummy but is thick enough to hold up without ruining the cake or running out into the icing. its always important to put a dam of icing on the edges to hold your filling in as well. pm me if you want the recipe. it can be used for almost any fruit, so just ask the person what type of fruit they want and the recipe can be adjusted.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 9

I've mixed some of the fruit gel sleeves with the same fruit before with good results. I just slice the fruit somewhat thin.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 9

The bakery near me does this and it is sooooo good (it is a french bakery)

Definate yes on the ring of icing and then you should be able to just lay the fruit (maybe mix with some frosting or jam or better yet some whipped topping) and spread in the center as you would any cake.

I actually really want to do this and have been thinking about it for awhile. (One time I took the french bakery cake to a math dept. luncheon and I got such rave reviews... way above and beyond when I make the cake, that I decided I had better try and do something like that!)

the bakery put strawberries, blueberries, peaches, kiwi... really you could do ANYTHING

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 9

I do it all the time, mostly with fresh berries. I'll slice the strawberries and dust with sugar. Drain berries. You can use the syrup to moisten the cake. As to keeping the berries in, I usually layer with whipped cream. I make mine the same day.

I just made this for Superbowl Sunday.

Juds Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 9

oops! pic didn't attach.
i'll try again

Juds Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 9

Picture is in my album if you wish to look.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 9

I just did this over the weekend. It was stacked three high (Robban's cake in my pics) and it had both sliced strawberries and crushed pineapple then topped with fresh whipped cream. Each layer was torted into 4 layers. I finished putting the cake together at about 2 am and then decorated it the next day.

I did have a little bit of juice leaking from the middle layer, but I think it was my fault for not supporting it in the back more to compensate for cutting weight off the front to make the road. It was leaning ever so slightly, which caused a little bit of juice to be lost. I was worried to death that the cake would be mushy back there, but the client said the only problem they had was not eating more cake!

I definately did the dam around the side of the cake (used a bag and a coupler without a tip just like when you do any other kind of filling), I put a thin layer of icing over each layer before placing the fruit on to keep the cake from getting mushy too.

As far as when to start, I think a day or two at the most and make sure to keep it refrigerated. IMHO, I think keeping it cold will keep everything good and stiff. Oh yeah....and I did this with a crusting buttercream, so I don't know how it would do with alternate icings.

Good Luck!!
-Michelle

partyhelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partyhelper Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I will give them a try.
Hey Happy Birthday Msauer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%