Imbc....uh-Oh

Decorating By kdbrumbach Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 2:16am by ShirleyW

kdbrumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbrumbach Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 9

Hi. I made a batch of IMBC last evening, it tastes delicious, but I didn't have time to ice the cake I made to go with it, so I stuck it in the fridge overnight. This morning I thought I would run the mixer through it to speed up the softening process and it completely separated!

Can I save it? It's not a huge deal since it's just a practice cake, but I'd really like to salvage if possible to take to a super bowl party tonight.

Thanks!

8 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

It should come back together, just "Keep a 'beatin'"LOLL

Beth in KY

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 9

Yep, just keep on beating it with your mixer. It may seem like it is taking a long time but it should eventually come together. Let us know!

kdbrumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbrumbach Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 9

It worked!!!! Thank you both so much! I love this site. icon_biggrin.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 9

You are very welcome!

Beth in KY

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 9

I had this problem last night. I iced it and put in the fridge and it came out with what looks like syrup running down the cake. Can anyone explain this?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 9

what did ya ice it with?

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 9

I iced it with a metal spatula.
The icing did look like it was seperating.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:16am
post #9 of 9

I don't think what you used to ice it with would affect the texture of the icing. It sounds to me like it could be several things. Did you cook it to the correct temperature, an accurate candy thermometer is really important. Did you pour the sugar syrup too fast into the beaten whites, or did you add the butter when the mixture was still hot, or was your butter too soft when you added it. Any of those things could cause it to separate and be watery. After refrigerating and trying to rebeat it on high speed with the paddle attachment, if it still doesn't come together I would say it wasn't cooked long enough or you poured the syrup in too fast and deflated the egg whites. You may have to start over with it. I had two PMs yesterday on IMBC, one said they loved it and would never use another type of icing again. The other said it was awful, slid down the sides of the cake, she scraped it off and threw it away. Once you understand this icing you will know exactly when to add the syrup, when to add the butter and how long to beat it. It really isn't a difficult icing to make, it just takes practice at getting every thing ready ahead of time and following the steps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%