Sammy-2002 Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 9:08pm
post #1 of

I have a question about making red icing.

I generally try to discourage people from requesting red icing unless it's just a small part of the cake design, just because of the flavor issue. If a design doesn't have much red in it, I usually use the pre-made red that you can buy in a tube.

I had a cake where I needed a lot of red icing, and I used the no-taste red, but found that even with the no-taste, I could taste it!

Any suggestions?

Black too. That's always a bummer.

3 replies
mamafrogcakes Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 9:24pm
post #2 of

I like Americolors better than Wilton, I think it yields a better color with less color.
First for red, Wilton makes a no-taste Red. I've also used the Americolor and made a very bright cherry red and had no problems with the taste.
For black, I start with a chocolate buttercream and add Americolor's black-black. Starting with chocolate avoids the bitterness too.
Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

eve Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 9:26pm
post #3 of

icon_smile.gif That's one color that so difficult to achieve..you can use the whole bottle of Red coloring, and it would still be Pink...

TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 2:00am
post #4 of

When making red, you can use a pink color first. Make a deep pink using the pink icing color, then add your red. That away you are not having to go through all the pink stages first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%