Prevent Cake Tiers From Sticking Together?

Decorating By fat-sissy Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 6:10pm by PistachioCranberry

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 12

How do I prevent the icing from sticking to the cake board of the tier on top of each layer. I read to sprinkle the top of cake where the cakeboard will sit w/coconut. But I hate coconut! I tried sprinkling confectioners sugar between the layers, but it still stuck badly. I need some suggestion PLEASE. My only thought was to cut the dowels slightly longer than I need them.

11 replies
Vmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vmoore Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 12

Well that's a good question! I've never tried it, but what about cutting a wax or parchment paper circle (the same size as the board) to go between the board and the icing of the lower layer? Then when you lift the board off, the parchment can be peeled off (with a little luck and prayer, probably). Can't wait to see the other suggestions!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 12

Yeah, don't use coconut. That's WAYYYY old school. Aside from the fact that it doesn't always complement the cake flavor, so many people are allergice these days, it's too risky.

Here are some other sprinklies you can use: toasted cake crumbs, grated chocolate, powdered sugar (crusting bc only).

Parchment circle works well with crusting bc, but may pull off noncrusting bc.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 12

try freezer paper that has a silicone coating on one side. put that side down on the frosting.

fat-sissy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 12

I'm out of the good parchment paper and don't have any freezer wrap (both great ideas), so I just cut my dowels slightly longer than I needed them to be. I'm pretty new to tiered cakes. Thanks for all the input.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 12

I used royal icing last time, it worked great.

fat-sissy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 12

Robin-Do you mean you frosted your entire cake w/royal icing? I use Antonia's RI on cookies, but I don't think I'd like it as the primary frosting on a cake.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 12

No, I just put a little underneath the cake board, in the center where it was going to sit.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 12

My dowels stick up every so slightly .... even 1/8" or smaller will make a difference. I fill in any gaps with the border when I put it on (all cakes are assembled at the site).

Also using a crusting icing helps. Even if my dowels are flush even or if the weight of the upper cakes pushes the dowels deeper so the uppers tiers are sitting directly on the bottom tier, my icing has not "stuck" to the upper tier when it was removed.

I've cut other peoples cakes who don't leave an air gap or (worse yet) use very VERY sticky icing (a local bakery cake) and it really is a mess when cutting.

lynsval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynsval Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 12

The best thing I have found is crystal sugar. It is larger than regular granulated sugar, blends in with the icing and doesn't get sticky. After you put your dowels in or just before pressing in your separator plate sprinkle an even layer of the crystals over the area that your next tier is going to sit on. It works like a charm. You could get colors to match your icing, but the clear work well for any colors. I have used this for fondant, pastry pride, as well as for buttercream. This is one of the best tips my teacher has given me.

Hope this helps!

Valerie in San Diego

fat-sissy Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the input!

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 12

This is a good thread...great input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%