Satin Ice Easier To Work With?

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 2 Feb 2007 , 12:54am by superstar

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:59am
post #1 of 18

Hi all,

I have a MOB requesting a fondant-covered cake for the bridal shower. I have had so much trouble covering a cake with MMF...I use the recipe on CC for MMF with marshmallow fluff (I know fluff is not available everywhere). I love the stuff for fondant accents, but I just can't get it to cover a cake! This woman is willing to pay for fondant, so I'm just wondering if Satin Ice is actually easier to work with?? It's not like I can buy it and then practice with it, since it's so expensive.

thanks!

17 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:07am
post #2 of 18

I love satin ice! I agree that MMF is harder to work with!

Kate714 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:15am
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

oh, good to hear that a pro like you agrees with me icon_smile.gif so maybe I am not crazy....

oh, and do you find that those charts telling you how much fondant you'll need are pretty accurate? For a 10 inch and an 8 inch cake, I'm figuring I need five pounds of Satin Ice, or is that cutting it too close??

moydear77 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:23am
post #4 of 18

I never know how much I need! I have 20lb buckets of it! Sometimes I roll it thin and sonetimes I roll it thick!!
I have extra cuz even though I look like a pro (which I don't think I am!) I can make mistakes!

I also do real tall cakes sometimes so it is hard to say!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:23am
post #5 of 18

I am FAR from being good at this but I LOVE Satin Ice. I was so afraid to try fondant but I gave the vanilla satin ice a try one night and was sorry I took so long to try it. I think it covers cakes beautifully and is really easy to work with not that I have that much experience though icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:27am
post #6 of 18

I got so sick of using MMF (and messing up) that I just buy FondX and pass the costs on to the people who buy from me. Its quicker and easier to use, so in a way the time it saves and also saving wear on my mixer is worth the extra money!

Kate714 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:29am
post #7 of 18

Where do you buy FondX and do you think it tastes good? This bride loved the taste of the MMF on another cake I made, so I'm hoping to find something with a similar taste.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:30am
post #8 of 18

I just covered a 9-inch double layer with less than half of the MMF recipe and it was easy to use. I lightly coated the rolling pin and mat with a bit of Crisco. I didn't use the MMF "fluff" recipe, though, so maybe that's where you're having problems??? I like Satin Ice, too. It's just that I have to drive 20 miles to get it, and MMF is cheaper.

moydear77 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:32am
post #9 of 18

I use fondx too. There shipping is pretty high. It works nice also. I get mine at competition sometimes. you can get it from caljava.

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:06am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

oh, good to hear that a pro like you agrees with me icon_smile.gif so maybe I am not crazy....

oh, and do you find that those charts telling you how much fondant you'll need are pretty accurate? For a 10 inch and an 8 inch cake, I'm figuring I need five pounds of Satin Ice, or is that cutting it too close??

Please tell me this is way more than enough satin ice. I am doing a wedding cake next week, and I bought (2) 5 lbs for a 12, 10, 8 and a 6.
I figured I would have way more than enough.

Does someone experienced have any advice?!

moydear77 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:15am
post #11 of 18

It all depends on heght of your cakes. We all have different heights for our cakes!

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:23am
post #12 of 18

I use MMF for all of my cakes...I tried the 'fluff' recipe and it DID NOT work!!! I stick with the actual marshmallows and although it's a pain in the butt to make, it covers well and tastes great!!!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:25am
post #13 of 18

According to the Wilton fondant book, you'll need (for 4-inch high round cakes):

6-inch: 18 oz.
8-inch: 24 oz.
10-inch: 36 oz.
12-inch: 48 oz.

Total: about 8 pounds

You're good to go!

Kate714 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:28am
post #14 of 18

jdogga...thanks for the input. maybe I will try it with actual marshmallows. the fluff is just so easy!

and lsawyer, that is good to know...I guess I should only need 5 pounds for mine then!

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:36am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

According to the Wilton fondant book, you'll need (for 4-inch high round cakes):

6-inch: 18 oz.
8-inch: 24 oz.
10-inch: 36 oz.
12-inch: 48 oz.

Total: about 8 pounds

You're good to go!

Thanks a bunch!

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:39am
post #16 of 18

I'm glad to hear that other people are having problems with the MMF "fluff". I used it a couple of weeks ago and I figured I had messed up the recipe....couldn't get it to harden! I probably didn't add enough powered sugar.

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:00am
post #17 of 18

Absolutely! I quit making MMF and only use Satin Ice now. The extra money spent is well worth it....it saves alot of frustration!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:54am
post #18 of 18

I love Satin Ice, but as I haven't yet tried MMF I cannot comment on it. I do intend trying it tho'.
June

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%