Cake Pricing Question

Baking By Prachi-gupta9 Updated 4 Aug 2017 , 2:32am by Nanassweets

Prachi-gupta9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prachi-gupta9 Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all.....I started to decorate cake 1 year back. Always have a pricing issue .Don't know how much my work is worth as I am a self taught and still has a very very long way to go. All my near and dear ones always praise my cake but I want a honest opinion on how much my work is worth. Hopefully to get some help from you bakers. Below attaching few of my cake .Cake Pricing QuestionCake Pricing QuestionCake Pricing QuestionCake Pricing Question

5 replies
Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 12:56am
post #2 of 6

These are so cute! Whether you are self-taught or not should not enter into the price of the cake. I charge $48 for 9", 3-layer cakes that are so very simple, nothing like your photos-- so I know you can get much more than that for your cakes. I would figure all your own costs, including ingredients and time and figure what you need to make a profit. Then look at some other cake baker's websites in your area to get a sense of what people are used to paying. Then try to find a happy medium. But don't charge way less than other bakers just because you are self-taught. For one thing it doesn't matter and for another, you will be undercutting others in your industry and that's just not nice :)

I know this was long-winded, but I saw there had been no responses and wanted to try and get things going. Hopefully, it was helpful.

Nanassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanassweets Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 2:07am
post #3 of 6

Your cakes are amazing! Self-taught and length-of-time has nothing to do with your ability to produce quality cakes and decorations. These cakes took lots of time because of all the fondant work (making/purchasing fondant, making decorations, drying time, tools, cutters, LABOR, etc.). Your cakes are worth $300+ easy. If you're not sure, ask how many to serve when taking the order then place a price on a-per-slice and multiply that by the price you want to charge ($6.50 (ps) X 150 (people) = $975.00) or ($4.50 X 150 = $675.00) etc.. When I started 7 yrs ago, the price per slice was $4.00, but the last time I checked it has gone up to $10.00 per slice. Check different websites for examples of prices. Your cakes look time consuming like Wedding Cakes, grocery stores don't provide cakes like these (at least not where I live) so take that into consideration! Charging $1.00 (ps) x 150 (people) = $150.00, with that price you are cheating yourself. Value your worth, skills, time & expertise, then develop YOUR PRICE! You don't have to gouge BUT you don't have to work for peanuts either. As you can see, the baking tools, pans, etc. cost so your price affords that. I hope this helps you, this is what I've learned along the way. Oh yeah, some people aren't happy with whatever price you give them!    

Prachi-gupta9 Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 6

Quote by @Nanassweets on 17 hours ago

Your cakes are amazing! Self-taught and length-of-time has nothing to do with your ability to produce quality cakes and decorations. These cakes took lots of time because of all the fondant work (making/purchasing fondant, making decorations, drying time, tools, cutters, LABOR, etc.). Your cakes are worth $300+ easy. If you're not sure, ask how many to serve when taking the order then place a price on a-per-slice and multiply that by the price you want to charge ($6.50 (ps) X 150 (people) = $975.00) or ($4.50 X 150 = $675.00) etc.. When I started 7 yrs ago, the price per slice was $4.00, but the last time I checked it has gone up to $10.00 per slice. Check different websites for examples of prices. Your cakes look time consuming like Wedding Cakes, grocery stores don't provide cakes like these (at least not where I live) so take that into consideration! Charging $1.00 (ps) x 150 (people) = $150.00, with that price you are cheating yourself. Value your worth, skills, time & expertise, then develop YOUR PRICE! You don't have to gouge BUT you don't have to work for peanuts either. As you can see, the baking tools, pans, etc. cost so your price affords that. I hope this helps you, this is what I've learned along the way. Oh yeah, some people aren't happy with whatever price you give them!    

Thank you so much. Happy to hear such kind word from you. Will definitely  consider all your points. Thank you so much once again.. 

Prachi-gupta9 Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

Quote by @Baker Beach on 19 hours ago

These are so cute! Whether you are self-taught or not should not enter into the price of the cake. I charge $48 for 9", 3-layer cakes that are so very simple, nothing like your photos-- so I know you can get much more than that for your cakes. I would figure all your own costs, including ingredients and time and figure what you need to make a profit. Then look at some other cake baker's websites in your area to get a sense of what people are used to paying. Then try to find a happy medium. But don't charge way less than other bakers just because you are self-taught. For one thing it doesn't matter and for another, you will be undercutting others in your industry and that's just not nice :)

I know this was long-winded, but I saw there had been no responses and wanted to try and get things going. Hopefully, it was helpful.

Thank you so much..thanks for guiding me. Will keep all these things in mind for future projects....

Nanassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanassweets Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 2:32am
post #6 of 6

You are very welcome! I wish someone had given me the info/suggestions I shared with you. I learned along the way and am still learning, as the industry constantly changes, experience is the best teacher. My God bless your endeavors! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%