Smbc Ratios By Weight - Heavy On The Egg Whites

Baking By crnewbold Updated 12 Jul 2017 , 1:59am by MBalaska

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:09am
post #1 of 5

I came across a recipe for SMBC that uses way more egg whites than usual (it's from the CakeSafe web site).  Most SMBC formulas are 1:2:3, or 1:2:2-ish by weight and consistently have graduating weights of egg whites, sugar, and butter.  This recipe uses 2 cups of egg whites (which is equivalent to 16 egg whites) to 1-1/2 cups sugar, and a pound and a half of butter, which I think is a ratio of 1: .65: 1.5 (math is not my strong point so I could be wrong).  Regardless of my math, this recipe uses more egg whites than butter.  Does anyone have experience with SMBC that is made with more egg whites than butter?  

Don't know if I can post a like to the recipe.  I'll try in a separate post.

4 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:18am
post #3 of 5

Bratko‘s Swiss Meringue Buttercream

6.25 oz egg whites (by weight, not liquid volume.  Could be 5 eggs, could be 7, for best results always weigh if you can).
7 oz sugar (or 1 cup)
pinch of salt
1 lb of unsalted fine quality butter, 72 degrees or warmer

Jen Bratko @fromscratch  from her website.  Fantastic starter recipe.

crnewbold Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:38am
post #4 of 5

Yes, Jen's is the first SMBC recipe I studied.  It's where I learned the method.  I'm specifically curious about the ratio of egg whites to butter in the CakeSafe recipe, which uses more egg whites than butter.  Hoping someone can speak to that point from experience.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%