Icing Issues

Decorating By elizw Updated 20 Jun 2017 , 10:19pm by remnant3333

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 11

okay....

struggling with icing.  bride needs NON butter icing.  my icing is all butter and powdered sugar (non crusting).  so, i'm frustrated.  typically, i crumb coat, chill and then final coat (or two).  the shortening icing won't firm up.  i've scraped off and added more powdered sugar and a bit of water.  still no dice.  added meringue powder.  not working.

so, i'm doing something wrong...obviously.  i just want to be able to crumb coat, chill and then be able to apply a smooth coat that has some body and doesn't pull crumbs.  i know a lot of bakers use a crusting buttercream.  

i need help from the icing experts out there!

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 11

Whether you use all butter, half butter/half high-ratio shortening or all high-ration shortening, your recipe should still crust enough to smooth.  I've used all three and it acts exactly the same.  Check out Edna de la Cruz's recipe and video.  It works well.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 11
elizw Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 12:26am
post #4 of 11

i'm in a pickle.  all i have is crisco.  cake is due tomorrow morning at 8:30...morning brunch wedding.  i hate the non butter icing i have made.  i keep picking up crumbs and i need a smooth finish.  ideas?

elizw Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 12:26am
post #5 of 11

i'm in a pickle.  all i have is crisco.  cake is due tomorrow morning at 8:30...morning brunch wedding.  i hate the non butter icing i have made.  i keep picking up crumbs and i need a smooth finish.  ideas?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 1:34am
post #6 of 11

Crumb coat it. To ice without getting crumbs the trick is to put on a lot more icing than you need and then take some off, if you try skimping the icing you will get crumbs. To avoid needing extra icing do it a section at a time, icing on, scrape off excess, move on to next section.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 1:40am
post #7 of 11

Do the smoothing work after you have iced the whole cake with a warm spatula if need be (I keep a tall canister of hot water beside me if I am using a warm spatula, just dry on paper towel after heating.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 1:50am
post #8 of 11

@elizw ‍, Crisco works fine for crusting buttercream.  It is not as yummy as all butter frosting, but it is a lot more heat resistant and you can add butter flavoring with your other extract(s) to help boost the taste.

elizw Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 3:58am
post #9 of 11

thanks to everyone for the tips!  i'm not a crusting buttercream girl.  those who ice with it have my respect and admiration.  :)  

thecakeartist2017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeartist2017 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 11

Okay... I am a crusting buttercream decorator all the way and the recipe I use works wonderfully. Its two pounds of powdered sugar, 1 cup of crisco shortening, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and milk to the desired consistency. It crusts wonderfully if you need and it has no butter!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 11

You could even use whipped cream stabilized frosting. I use the Wilton one with piping gel added to it. It works wonderfully on a cake. This works great or you could use the other recipes above for buttercream without butter. 

http://www.wilton.com/stabilized-whipped-cream-icing/WLRECIP-218.html#start=6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%