No-Cracking Buttercream Icing

Decorating By mlyoung_2 Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 10:28pm by mlyoung_2

mlyoung_2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlyoung_2 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know of something to add to buttercream icing to prevent it from cracking? I have heard of adding vinegar - does this work? and how much do you put in? or does anyone know of anything else?

Thanks

5 replies
tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 6

I would love to know as well.. icon_redface.gif

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 6

I have read 1-2 drops per batch and will actually be trying it this week for the first time. Have you tried to do a search in the forums yet? I'm not very good or I would try to link you to the topic. It's in here somewhere!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 6

I've never tried the vinegar but a number of people on here have recommended that, so I've no doubt it works. You also want to make sure your boards are sturdy enough to hold the cake. I use 2 boards on an 11x15 and 3 on a 12x18. Wedding cake bases are masonite, silver plateau's, or I have a wooden one that I picked up. If you freeze your cakes, be sure they are thawed (i.e. not frozen solid) when you ice them. I found that out the hard way! It was a family event, so it was ok that the cake wasn't "perfect", but I iced the cake while it was still frozen. As the cake thawed, the cake expanded (cold contracts ..... warm expands). As the cake expanded, it (of course) cracked the icing.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 6

Just a couple of drops of vinegar per batch and it won't even be detectable. It definitely works . . . there is some chemical reason that's been explained to me but once I heard that it works, I didn't pay enough attention to the why!

mlyoung_2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlyoung_2 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all your comments and help. I will be trying the vinegar this week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%