Cake Pops Guts

Baking By GrumpyMike Updated 17 Nov 2016 , 5:25pm by kareninflorida

GrumpyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrumpyMike Posted 12 Nov 2016 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 8

I made my first cake pops last week with cake domes cut off to make the layer flat. I mixed the crumble with buttercream to make the balls and they weren't too bad.  However, they were way to sweet.

Any icings or other mixes that can be used?  I don't want to start baking the pops quite yet, but they are handy little treats - just too sweet with the ingredients I use.  

Thanks in advance.

7 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 13 Nov 2016 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 8

I've seen recipes where they mix the crumbs with ganache.  They'd still be sweet - but "chocolate sweet", compared to "icing sweet".

You could reduce the sweetness even  more by using a dark, bittersweet.

Also, a second benefit is that they end up being a bit firmer so a bit more sturdy.

Here is one link - but there are tons more via Google. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 12:26am
post #3 of 8

When I make cake pops, I try not to use anything but cake. If the cake crumbs are just too dry to stick together, I'll use anything but frosting. It makes them way too sweet.

I've used tourani syrup, juice, mashed fruit, pudding and even plain yogurt. But I like the ones with just cake the best.

GrumpyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrumpyMike Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 11:51am
post #4 of 8

PattyT - when I posted this one I knew of only two frostings: canned and buttercream.  I looked up Ganache and will try it on next batch of pops, maybe even a cake.  

Jgifford - I never thought of using something with other gastronomical purposes.  I'll keep that in mind.  Except the yogurt.  I don't care for yogurt.  Hmmm, maybe mashed potatoes?  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

Thanks, ladies!  Orange Guy Two Thumbs Up animated emoticon

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 8

I just made spherical brownie petit fours last week. They were basically cake pops without the stick. Brownies are nice and moist and ready to be covered if baked in a sphere pan. And they tasted good with dark chocolate! If your goal is to use cake scraps go with ganache.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 8

I've also read someone say they use flavoured coffee creamer, just a tad to act as binder. It'll add some flavour to your cake pops (eg Hazelnut, French vanilla, Eggnog etc etc). :)

kareninflorida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kareninflorida Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 8

In addition to the other items suggested, I have also used heavy cream, coffee, or liquers.

kareninflorida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kareninflorida Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @kareninflorida on 1 minute ago

In addition to the other items suggested, I have also used heavy cream, coffee, or liqueurs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%