Frustrated With Sugar Flowers

Decorating By kcampeau Updated 6 Nov 2016 , 3:41pm by leah_s

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 3

I am so frustrated having to make sugar flowers, it is the one area I always struggle with and  it is just annoying now. The leaves are always coming away from the wire and they are really time consuming.

Does anyone have a cake business and just not do sugar flowers and only use real flowers or artificial flowers? I would really like to leave these behind but worry how it will affect my growing business if I do not do them

2 replies
Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 3

Hello,

In my humble esteem...cake businesses that are successes are known for being outstanding at one thing or another.....whether its's gravity defying, painting, flower work, ect

But in my perspective there are certain things that are classic expectations that certain demographics always come back to. Unfortunately flower work is one of them....brides almost always want perfect pristine flowers and modern cake design also where a single perfect flower on top of a lake flat surface....also due to the fact that so many people perfect gumpaste flowers chances are that prospective clients may not accept using artificial or real flowers....also there is the health requirements of using real flowers on cakes that are pesticide free and not as simple as going to your florist and picking up some roses ect...

So I will say this to you......if flowers are not your forte.....be known for some other genre of cake decorating.....and when it comes to floral cakes you can perhaps purchase the gumpaste flowers (there are several companies online) or if the business is successful enough take on someone to do those types of cakes :)....but I will say that you will be denying your growing business a Large demographic of possible clients :) 

Hope it helps :)

Anecia

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 3

I say "buy 'em."  Srsly, no one could pay me enough for my time to make flowers.  I have the skill, and I did them during culinary school, but I have better things to do with my time.  There are fabulous flowers available.  I always bought from Avalon Deco.  And you can mark them up about 300%.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%