Transporting A 2 Tier Drip Cake

Decorating By Aphrodite_Vicky Updated 4 Nov 2016 , 10:05pm by Aphrodite_Vicky

Aphrodite_Vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aphrodite_Vicky Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 2:07am
post #1 of 4

Hi! My name is Vicky. I'm making a 2 tier buttercream drip cake for a friend's engagement party next week. I'm concerned about transportation. Would it be better to refrigerate the 2 cakes and assemble at the venue? The drip is made from white chocolate ganache. I'm worried that if I leave the cake out at the venue, the moisture from inside the cake will sweat and ruin the drip and the cake. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

3 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 4

What do you mean the moisture inside the cake....what are you putting inside of the cake?  A 2 tier cake should not be a problem to transport.  I do not refrigerate my cakes after assembling.  If you refrigerate, when you take it out you will create condensation.  What are you using for your drip....ganache or candy melt.

Aphrodite_Vicky Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 4

Hi, the cake is a vanilla sponge cake with flavoured buttercream between the layers and on the outside. I am using ganache for the drip on both cakes. I'm scared if I don't refrigerate the cake and I try and transport it the movement and vibration if the car will ruin the cake. Ive transported fondant cakes but not buttercream. Ive read on the internet that you should refrigerate buttercream cakes because it makes them easier to transport. But what about when you leave it at room temp at the venue?  I'm scared there will be condensation on the cake and this will ruin the look of the buttercream and the drip. I've also read on the internet that multi tier cakes should be transported separately then stacked at the venue. I'm unsure. Thanks

Aphrodite_Vicky Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 4

I made a dummy cake yesterday, took it out of the fridge this morning. Buttercream with the ganache drip. The fridge ruined the drip. It developed elephant skin and went dull. Yuk. That answers my question, I will refrigerate the cake prior to putting the drip on but never after. I will need to transport my cake at room temp. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%