Making A Mousse For Dessert Cups Instead Of Between Cake Layers

Baking By FabricGal Updated 15 Oct 2016 , 12:10am by johnson6ofus

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 14 Oct 2016 , 7:07am
post #1 of 4

I'd like to make a really good chocolate mousse but don't want to use raw eggs.  Could I use meringue powder instead and leave out the yolks as well, or would the mousse lose quality?  

When you make a chocolate mousse filling for a cake -- iif I wanted to use the same recipe as is used for cake filling, my guess is that I'd have to maybe add more whipping cream to make the mousse more smooth and light, versus how thick it would be if it was going to be used for a filling, right??

And while I'm asking, does anyone have a good recipe, without raw eggs, for raspberry mousse, or lemon mousse (that doesn't use lemon curd, if possible)?

Thanks for your help!!!!

3 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 14 Oct 2016 , 10:56am
post #2 of 4

I can't help with all of your questions... but I can tell you that when I make chocolate mousse, I do not use any egg yolks at all...

My actual recipe is basically chocolate, whipping cream, and egg whites... I don't typically even add any more than a few teaspoons of sugar into the meringue as I am whipping... I do use the pasteurized egg whites you can buy in the store though...

I do not sell my mousse... it is just for me and family...

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 14 Oct 2016 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the input, AAtKt -- I'm a hobby baker.  I really didn't want to use any eggs or egg whites at all, but was hoping the meringue powder would be something that someone here would know about, y'know?   Next time I go to the store, I'll have to see if we even have the option of purchasing pasteurized egg whites. smiley.png

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Oct 2016 , 12:10am
post #4 of 4

A blend of whipping cream (whipped) and pudding makes a decent "mousse", without eggs at all..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%