Gender Reveal Cake When You Don't Know Gender - Ideas

Decorating By Meridae Updated 4 Oct 2016 , 11:20pm by maybenot

Meridae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meridae Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 4:59am
post #1 of 13

Hey all, I was supposed to make a classic gender reveal cake for a baby shower on Sunday - only baby was shy at the scan today. So now I need to do a 'genderless'  reveal cake - any ideas how I could handle this in a light,  gently humorous way? 

TIA

Meridae

12 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 5:10am
post #2 of 13

My first thought is making a cute little baby topper that is kneeling on the cake with it's knees pressed together and hands covering the private parts looking a bit shy and cheeky. Or even just one hand between the legs and the other with a finger on his mouth lime it's saying "shhh".

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 10:32am
post #3 of 13

What was your original design for the cake? When is the cake due - is there a possibility for another scan before that?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 13

Since the reveal part is inside the cake, I'd either do a pink and blue marble, or two layers of pink and two layers of blue.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 13

That shy baby figure is a hilarious idea. What about a layer that has ? ??  in pink and blue (like the surprise inside letters, etc) or hollow out and fill the center with little plastic babies and bottles - like an inedible pinata-style.

Sorry that baby is uncooperative for his/her own party!

T

LelekBolek Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 13

I think doing both blue and pink colors inside will be confusing, people will think a set of fraternal twins , one of each gender, are expected.

LelekBolek Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 13

I would go with a more non-traditional design, make a "fortune cookie" cake, with the scroll inside saying something goofy, like Confucius says: you will have to wait to find out. 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 13

I would do Light green inside. If you do pink and blue people are going to think it's twins boy and girl. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 13

Use a question mark as a topper.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 13

Quote by @Apti on 15 seconds ago

Use a question mark as a topper.

Perfect!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 13

Sorry, wasn't finished, use a question mark as a topper, then use Leah_s idea of pink/blue marble cake inside.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 13

Or WHITE cake for no confusion/ twin expectations. No pink, no blue.....

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 13

I'd make the inside violet [pink+blue] and use the question mark or baby looking under a blanket over its lap.  Maybe make the blanket removable, have a diaper on the infant, and the words "I'm keeping you guessing!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%