Angel Food Cake Question

Baking By Gordy307 Updated 6 Oct 2016 , 11:00pm by -K8memphis

Gordy307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gordy307 Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 4

I have a hostess that requested a gluten free, dairy free angel food cake for an adult birthday party on 9.26.16.  I have a recipe, which I still need to test (so I better get busy on it.)  Just wondering if anyone has any idea how far in advance I can make this?  I'm sure I will find out with the test cake but wondering if anyone else has had a request like this?

Thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2016 , 5:47am
post #2 of 4

i would make it one day in advance -- I'm very curious as to what kind of flour you will be using

Gordy307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gordy307 Posted 6 Oct 2016 , 10:17am
post #3 of 4

Hi K8,

This is the recipe I used from tasteoflizzyt.com.  It was a bit more dense that a regular recipe, but tasted very good.  My test cake stayed moist for 4 day wrapped in plastic wrap, left on the dinning room table. Thank you for the follow up :)

Gluten Free Angel Food Cake

Yields 12

1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)

3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup white sugar, divided

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup white rice flour

1/4 cup tapioca starch

1/4 cup potato starch

1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Fruit, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and allow them to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.

In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, corn starch, white rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch together. Mix

well. Set aside.

Add the cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually

add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat on high until it forms stiff peaks.

Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold in the flour mixture 1/2 a cup at a time.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10" angel food cake pan. Gently swirl a knife through the batter to remove air bubbles.

Bake at 350 degrees on the lowest oven rack for 40­45 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and looks dry.

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately invert the pan, standing it upside down on 3 glasses that are equal in height for support.

Allow the cake to cool upside down for one hour, then slide a knife around the sides and center of the pan to loosen the cake.

Remove the cake to a plate and serve with desired fruit.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2016 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 4

interesting -- it's three parts starch to one part flour -- wonder if you tweak that what happens -- maybe go half & half or even 1/3 starch 2/3 flour? idk just thinking out loud but if you want to avoid the heaviness that might be a direction to venture toward -- but kudos to you for pulling it off -- sounds delicious-- thanks for the update

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%