Smbc And Satin Ice - Sweaty Mess! Please Help!!

Decorating By RickyButlerSays Updated 4 Sep 2016 , 2:50pm by CatherineGeorge

RickyButlerSays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RickyButlerSays Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 2:36am
post #1 of 4

I am trying like mad to make my son's second birthday cake and my SMBC broke so badly there was almost more clear liquid (like a simple syrup,) than BC before I rewhipped it, and when I covered it with the Satin Ice, it turned into a sweaty, sticky, soft mess! Please help!!

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 5:37am
post #2 of 4

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. How does the smbc looked like after you rewhipped it? If it's to liquid it will dissolve the fondant (doesn't matter which brand). If I were you I would try and scrap the smbc off the cake and make a new batch. Then cover in new fondant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2016 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 4

my smbc went soupy once and i added powdered sugar and probably some cornstarch to hold it all in and it worked -- i know i'm probably too late but just wanted to chime in --

also for going forward -- make sure your meringue is well incorporated -- that you scrape from the bottom and start mixing on low then turn up the speed  gradually so every bit gets well incorporated and doesn't jump off the cliff without you later on -- and likewise that the butter and meringue are perfectly well incorporated, scraped from the bottom --

and of course if the meringue is too warm it will melt the butter and there goes the neighborhood with water leaking out of the butter -- also don't let your butter get too room temp -- i just let mine get soft enough to smush in the wrapper -- not really warm/soft --

how did it go?

CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 4 Sep 2016 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 4

Your buttercream broke because it was too cold. There's a ton of mythology on the internet about beating meringue buttercream for a long time or adding whatever, but it's just about temperature. In my experience, the quality of the meringue, the starting temp of the butter, and the ratios involved are very flexible as long as the final product is about room temperature (say 68F-75F) . Get a thermometer (a heat gun is also handy) and you'll be all set.

You can chill the buttercream, but if you mess with it before it returns to room temp the emulsion will break. It will come back together if you heat it up (I use a heat gun on the outside of the mixer bowl) and beat it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%