post #1 of 8
7 replies
Nedra2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nedra2016 Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 8

Hum, not sure why nothing showed up here :(

I wrote:

Hello!!

Yesterday I made a birthday cake for my husband's 40th, and it turned out pretty well (pic attached). Seeing as we both dislike the sweetness of American buttercream, I tried making flour/boiled milk/ermine buttercream for the first time. We like the taste a lot, it's not too sweet and it's very smooth. For those interested, this is the recipe I used: http://thetoughcookie.com/2015/06/07/how-to-make-flour-buttercream-or-ermine-buttercream-the-battle-of-the-buttercreams-2-0/

I did my best to keep the frosting cool while piping (switching between cooled bags in the fridge etc..) but it seems it did melt? As you can see in the close up picture, the frosting seems striated with melted colored butter (at least that's what i'm assuming it is). The day was warm (just my luck, living in Denmark, the one day I would have liked it to be cold and grey it was sunny and warm). Any idea on what happened or how I can avoid this in the future? I really liked this frosting and would like to use it again. 

Thanks!

[postimage id="4688" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 8

it's not the best piping material -- you could wear a flexible hot mitt to help protect the icing from the heat of your hand --

some people transfer two bags in & out the fridge (I would go nuts doing this myself -- no es bueno

but if I wanted to use this icing -- what I would do is gauge how much icing I can pipe without it melting and just put that much into my parchment bag and toss it -- just keep making more --

but honestly I'd use a different icing -- here's a not too sweet abc:

K8's White Balsamic Vinegar American Buttercream

one way is to substitute 1-2 tablespoons of w. b.vinegar for some of the liquid using your favorite american buttercream recipe --

but i use this:

2# sifted powdered sugar 

1 cup (2 sticks u. s.) butter, not rock hard

1/2* cup cream

little salt

vanilla -- I probably use over a tablespoon

1-2 tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar

* reduce the cream by how much white balsamic vinegar you add -- I use 2+ tablespoons 

combine all -- mix for 10 minutes

or -- delete the vinegar and use buttermilk instead of cream

best abc and everything else to you

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 8

oh you Did do the switching in the fridge -- gagh -- did you go nuts?

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 8

it doesn't hold color that well -- once it warms at all it's done -- like you already found out but yes it's just that kind of icing -- does that for everyone -- just not the best medium for piping intensive work -- mostly limited to flawless nearly effortless icing of the cake smoothy smooth -- shell borders, drop flowers, leaves, vines -- stuff like that -- 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 8

I wouldn't try piping it either, it is really soft without any heat but once you start handling it no doubt it wouldn't hold up.

Another one to try is Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC). It sounds complicated but it's really not once you do it the first time. 

Cooked flour frosting is great with Banana cake and a bit of caramel icing through the flour frosting by the way :-) Just keep it cool until serving.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 8

You can use cornstarch instead of flour which may stiffen it up a bit... but basically what K8 said...

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 Jul 2016 , 6:16am
post #8 of 8

My guess is that you used gel colour to colour it right? It doesn't mix well with any buttery buttercream and gets sticky once cool and handled (like when you smooth it or pipe it as it sits like a layer on the bc and you smear it across when frosting/piping). Try powdered or candy colour next time.

The heat should not be the issue because it still holds its shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%