Emoji Copyright

Decorating By stephsweetreats Updated 21 Jul 2016 , 11:24am by -K8memphis

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 4

So I know a lot bakers and or bakeries don't really follow copyright law-but I do.  One thing I have recently come across is the big new trend to have emoji themed birthday parties.  I have looked it up and it does say Apple's emoji's are part of their font, therefore copyrighted.  So you can come up with your own version of an emoji and use it, but I feel like they are all look so similar. How is someone to know you were making your own, going off the Wal-Mart party supplies, or Apple's font?  

I'm falling on the side of just say no to the emoji orders because the line is too blurry on the copyright for my comfort, but I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about it?

3 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 4

I've seen quite a lot of those & I'm sure most people don't even think about them being copyright the way we do with something like Disney characters.

Maybe a way to make "you own" emoji would be something specific to that person?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 2:47am
post #3 of 4

Or you could just draw them yourself with different eyes or something. There are so many of them now, it would be easy to do some new ones without people even noticing that they've never seen that exact one before, as long as they're yellow smiley face type things they'll look right.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 11:24am
post #4 of 4

there's no specific copyright limiting the use of the typical smilie face, frowny face, etc. they are everywhere in our society -- just a cartoon face -- no one would seriously bring suit against a smilie face -- they are everywhere from water towers to wal-mart to >> blush.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%