Cake Wieght

Baking By Jhumjhum29 Updated 19 Jul 2016 , 5:59pm by Jhumjhum29

Jhumjhum29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jhumjhum29 Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 12

Is it possible to know how much the cake weighs using a specific size of cake pan before baking? I mean to say if I need 1 kg cake so how can I know how much batter will give me the desired weight and which size pan I need. Please help me.

11 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 12

I don't think you can know this universally for all recipes in a given pan because the ingredients will determine the weight more than the size of the pan. A vanilla cake is much lighter than say a carrot or banana cake. You would have to be really precise in your measurements to know this for even one recipe down to weighing the eggs.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 12

Why not make your batter, weigh out 1 kg. and figure out what size pan it fits in? The baked cake may weigh less due to evaporation, so it will take trial and error. 

Jhumjhum29 Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 12

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 3 days ago

I don't think you can know this universally for all recipes in a given pan because the ingredients will determine the weight more than the size of the pan. A vanilla cake is much lighter than say a carrot or banana cake. You would have to be really precise in your measurements to know this for even one recipe down to weighing the eggs.

ok dear. i understand your opinion. actually I'm new in baking industry and now I'm taking few orders. here clients ask for cake weight say 1 kg , 2 kg like that. I'am little bit confused if somebody asks for 1 kg cake which cake pan I have to use. now I'll keep mind about the recipe as you said above. if the recipe calls for simple vanilla cake it obviously need more batter than that of carrot cake or banana cake. I'll keep this in my mind. thanks a lot for your information. relaxed.png

Jhumjhum29 Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 12

Quote by @hippiecac on 22 hours ago

Why not make your batter, weigh out 1 kg. and figure out what size pan it fits in? The baked cake may weigh less due to evaporation, so it will take trial and error. 

thank you so much. this is a great idea dear. next time I'll use this trick. thanks a lot. relaxed.png

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 12

this is not for the caribbean fruit cake is it? idk i think there's a certain cake or maybe a lot of different cakes in one of the caribbean countries that sells cakes by weight or is it africa?

Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 12

In the states we don't sell by weight but by servings. So are there recipes that already exist where you are that have already done the figuring for you? It would take a lot of experimenting for me to figure out something like this but @hippiecac ‍ has given you an excellent jumping off point. Does the 1 kg also include frosting?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 12

certain places in the world (somewhere) sell cakes this way

Jhumjhum29 Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 12

Quote by @-K8memphis on 5 days ago

this is not for the caribbean fruit cake is it? idk i think there's a certain cake or maybe a lot of different cakes in one of the caribbean countries that sells cakes by weight or is it africa?

sorry for replying late. I was a bit busy last few days. I'm not talking about any specific cake my dear. here in this part of the world every cake is ordered in terms of weight. like 1 kg 2 kg like that. that's why I wanted to know the way to know the weight of the cake before baking it. :)

Jhumjhum29 Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 12

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 5 days ago

In the states we don't sell by weight but by servings. So are there recipes that already exist where you are that have already done the figuring for you? It would take a lot of experimenting for me to figure out something like this but @hippiecac ‍ has given you an excellent jumping off point. Does the 1 kg also include frosting?

yeah I know dear in most of the places cakes ar ordered as per serving but here n this part of the world cakes are sold in terms of weight. yeah it's included frosting. so that means I have to weigh the cake in such a way so that after frosting it comes round about 1 kg.

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 12

So there must be a general standard of what size a 1 kg cake is expected to be. I'm assuming it's not exactly 1 kg because that would be crazy hard to accomplish. Are there bakeries near you that have cakes and their prices on display? If there are, I would go there and take note of their approximate cake sizes to get an estimate of how big your cakes should be. I'm guessing it's okay to be a little over, but they still pay by the total weight.

Jhumjhum29 Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 1 day ago

So there must be a general standard of what size a 1 kg cake is expected to be. I'm assuming it's not exactly 1 kg because that would be crazy hard to accomplish. Are there bakeries near you that have cakes and their prices on display? If there are, I would go there and take note of their approximate cake sizes to get an estimate of how big your cakes should be. I'm guessing it's okay to be a little over, but they still pay by the total weight.

thanks dear. this is very logical suggestion. here are some supermarkets where the sell such cakes. it's better I can check it from there at least to get some ideas. thanks for this idea. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%