Cupcake Bouquet- Styro Foam Vs Plastic Cups

Decorating By carolinecakes Updated 22 Jun 2016 , 6:25pm by carolinecakes

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 8

After reading threads and looking at tutorials, I still have some questions about making Cupcake Bouquets.

Some use a styro foam half ball and insert the cupcakes. Others use plastic cups and place the cakes inside.  Is one method better or more secure than the other? Re the cups, is it difficult to get the cakes out of the cups?  TIA.

7 replies
hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 8

I've had to make cupcake bouquets for my day job (they need to be photographed and look perfect). I've only made them using a foam ball with skewers, because that is the required method. They are relatively stable when the cupcakes and frosting are cold, but once they come to room temp become extremely unstable. Watch out for falling cupcakes!!!!  The cup method is probably more secure

carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your response, I am making them for the teachers, so I'm not sure how long they will sit out. Falling cupcakes are what concerns me, guess  I'll be using the cup method.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 8

good luck!!!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 8

I've done both. The cups are definitely more secure.  I did the round styro ball in a flower pot and cupcakes fell off at the bottom. I like the not quite round but rounded shape you can get with the cups. they look very pretty on a large bowl or even a platter. Much easier to transport as well because the balance is way off if you use a flower pot unless you weight that sucker down big time. Gotta say they both look ugly once you start pulling the cupcakes off to eat them!

mini cupcake bouquets:

Raspberry Velvet cupcakes made with beets for the color .  I got the recipe from this site but forgot to add the vanilla - deliciously tart but balanced when topped with vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream - http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bigbaketheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/P1000481-e1327449332517.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bigbaketheory.com/2012/01/27/natural-red-velvet-cake/&h=450&w=600&tbnid=GM36igijn-d0AM:&zoom=1&q=natural+red+velvet&tbnh=179&tbnw=238&usg=__KUaW_rFaY0yjQfvg5E7DXs7iNYg=&sa=X&ei=g7o_U7-JMainsATus4CQDw&ved=0CCkQ9QEwAA:

carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 8

Those are pretty. Are those fondant leaves? I have not decided what containers I will be using,  whatever is at the dollar store. Yes ,I read that some use bags of candy to weigh down the pots.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 8

@carolinecakes ‍ The leaves are piped candy melts. Oh I should mention the styro balls are holding mini cupcakes and the cups are holding standard cupcakes.

carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 8

Piped Candy melts, great idea!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%