Experienced Decorators - How Do You Make Larger Letters?

Decorating By sugarbritches Updated 22 Jun 2016 , 5:37am by Nancylou

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 5

I need to put the name of the birthday girl on the top of a cake and I can't seem to find any cute letter cutters that are big enough. I don't want those big fat letters.  What do the rest of you do?

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 5

I have used pate a choux, aka cream puff dough-- it's wonderful -- I have an old picture somewhere...just pipe and bake -- then I stand it up and secure with toothpicks --

a lot of people use fondant I would stress out thinking it would break when choux paste is so easy and light weight --

do you mean the font? just look through the choices on gmail docs or word or whatever document software you have -- get the style and size you want -- print it off and away you go -- y'know roll fondant sausages and form the letters --

i don't know the more I write the more i'm wondering what do you mean by 'not a big fat letter'

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 5

K8 great idea about pate a choux!  But fondant sausages to form letters...duh!  Why didn't I think of that???!!  What I mean by fat letters are that I can find big cookie cutter letters but they're big fat letters instead of a thinner fancy font.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 5

and y'know if you go with the fondant add tylose -- I add corn starch, it's cheaper and works great -- best to you -- I love your screen name 

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 5:37am
post #5 of 5

I completely agree with what K8 said, fondant sausage over your favorite font printed in the exact size you need. 

Also, the following link has an alphabet mold that is about an inch and a half tall - perfect for the top of your cake.  It's also deep/thick enough to stand on its own with a little melted chocolate to hold it in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Fondant-Silicone-Letters-Numbers/dp/B007E8KJF2/ref=pd_sim_201_19?ie=UTF8&dpID=41sRsYxN9WL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=KXWS44VRYKZDW90YPQ8D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%