Cherry Red Royal Icing

Baking By hippiecac Updated 4 Jun 2016 , 5:57pm by hippiecac

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone offer hints on achieving royal icing that dries to a bright cherry red?  My red cookies look great when they are wet, but when they dry are a darker maroony (maroonie? lol) color. I'll attach a pic of the most recent attempt. 

So far I've tried: 

*Wilton royal recipe + a lot of Americolor Super Red

*Wilton royal recipe + Americolor Super Red, sit out 2 days adding just a little bit of color to barely get a red hue

*SweetAmbs royal recipe + a lot of Americolor Super Red

*SweetAmbs royal recipe +Americolor super red & McCormick liquid red

*SweetAmbs royal recipe, + Americolor Super Red sit out 2 days adding just a little bit of color to barely get a red hue

I have also added to the base red color

*Orange Americolor 

*Lemon Yellow Americolor

AND have tried making both royal recipes with corn syrup (adds shininess, does not help with color)

I've also tried both Wilton and CK meringue powders. 

I've researched a ton online and what I've gleaned is that Tulip Red (which is the same as No-Taste Red) yields a brighter color. 

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, can you share some hints on how you get true cherry red?

I don't want to use Wilton or ProGel colors if at all possible, and although I have an airbrush would prefer to not airbrush the color on.

Otherwise am willing to buy just about any other product that will get me cherry red!

5 replies
hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 6

"Red" cookies, not the color I'm looking for

[postimage id="4061" thumb="900"]

hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks to the magic of Photoshop, the color I DO want! 

[postimage id="4062" thumb="900"]

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 4:34am
post #4 of 6

The "holy grail" of colors. My reds suck.... dying to hear any great answer. But your cookies are awesome!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 6

sounds like you already did some research and found Sweet Sugarbelle's discussion on this...http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2011/07/tulip-red/

if you have time/access to purchase Americolor or CK TulipRed, give it a go...you will likely be very pleased with the results.

if you're determined to attempt this hue of red using products that you have on hand, try reversing your actions. start with a well developed Americolor Orange base color (i.e. make royal icing, add orange color, let it rest until color is deep), then add just a little Americolor Super Red, and let it rest again until fully developed. if color is still too orangey, add a little more Americolor Super Red, and let it rest again. When color is just a tad lighter than what you want in its wet stage, go ahead and decorate with it...it will wind up drying into the shade you desire.

HTH

hippiecac Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 6

Yes I've read SS post as well as just about every other one on the damn internet! LOL! I bought Tulip, going to give it a whirl next time I need red. Thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%