Best Way To Fix A Cake That Didn't Come Out Of The Pan Nicely

Baking By Aliceinde Updated 2 Jun 2016 , 9:05pm by Aliceinde

Aliceinde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliceinde Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 12

Okay I would like some opinion/help here.  I am an amateur baker and have been into baking for about a year and a half now.  I baked a 12 inch butter cake and when I took the cake out of the pan there was a small section on the bottom that stuck to the pan.  I saved the part that stuck and I am thinking I can just use icing to patch it into the spot.  Then I plan to ice it with buttercream and then cover it with fondant.  

My question - is this the best way to fix it or would it be better to just cut the whole cake down a bit (I would freeze the cakes a bit to get them hard enough to just cut it down as the whole cake seems to be very moist and I can bet it would fall apart even more if I don't freeze it first).

If I just try to patch it with the icing my worry is that it will make for an uneven finish after I put my fondant on it when I put pressure on the cake to smooth it out with the fondant on it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

11 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 12

By all means, "glue" in the broken part with a little icing.

Next, invent $3 in some parchment paper. Transitions from amateur to experienced baker says you will discover it is awesome! Pull out a length of parchment, lay down your cake pan and trace around it with a pencil or alcohol marker. Now cut away the lines so you have a "clean" circle (or square). Lay the paper inside (OK if not cut perfectly, but be sure it doesn't go up the sides, just the bottom) and prep your pans. Bake as usual.

Parchment makes the cakes easy to handle, prevents small sticking spots, and even adds an extra layer if freezing.The process only adds 2 minutes to your prep time...I swear.

PS. make a note on your recipe card to use parchment especially on any cake that has a tendency to stick a bit (or really, on all).

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 12

** invest**

SandraAlicante Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraAlicante Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 12

Don't you just hate spell check!:)

Yup, that's the way to go! For the sides, use bakers grease - 1/3 each of flour, white fat and oil.

Aliceinde Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 12

Okay thanks for the advice.  I will just "glue" it with icing this time and use parchment paper in the future.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 12

You can also use Wax Paper.  It is a bit cheaper than parchment.   I will not do a cake anymore unless I have lined the bottom

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 12

What they said.

This is definitely part of the learning curve.  The only part they forgot to mention is all the cuss words when you see that part sticking to the pan. 

Aliceinde Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 12

Oh I know all about the cuss words already!  Believe me!  LOL

This site has been a blessing for me.  I usually just search the forums for my question and someone else has already asked it, had problems with it, etc.  I think if it wasn't for the internet I would have given up long ago and I would not have learned and been able to create the cakes I already have done so far!  

Apti Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 12

When I retired, the neighbors probably thought it was for anger-management reasons.  As I learned cake making and decorating, a LOT of bad, bad words came out of my mouth at all hours of the day, night, and early morning hours. 

CakeCentral and the now defunct Wilton forums were a huge blessing.  If you wish, you are welcome to see my work since starting from scratch (heh heh heh) in 2010 with a Wilton course at my local Michaels store.   Here's the link to my very first cake, and then I'll follow that with a link to my Shutterfly site with photos of most of my cakes and creations.

First cake ever:

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/134

Since then:

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 12

i know some very creative cuss words.

Apti Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 12

@costumeczar -- are they prefaced by 'heinous'? 

Aliceinde Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 12

Apti - you sure have come a long way!  My "first" Wilton class was way back in the 70's.  I did some cakes back then but lost the time and patience for it.  Then along came my step-daughter's wedding and I was shocked at the price of wedding cakes.  I had a year and decided I could make the cake she wanted (my profile avitar pic).  I had never done fondant so I started with a small round 8" cake and made some marshmallow fondant and it didn't turn out too bad.  I made other birthday cakes, etc. that year working my way up to the big day for the wedding cake.  I even bought dummies and did the whole cake just to make sure I could do it.  In the end it turned out pretty good I thought.  Since then I have been learning all I can and doing different cakes.  My hope is that when I retire from my real job I will sell cakes to supplement my income.

So a wedding cake changed my whole life!  LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%