Crusting Banana Cream Frosting...?

Decorating By RiDE Updated 2 Jun 2016 , 3:57pm by bluefox1394

RiDE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RiDE Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 12:04am
post #1 of 3

Hello all!  Long time lurker, first time poster. :) I have a friend who saw the cake I made for my birthday (that's right, I made my OWN DARNED BIRTHDAY CAKE.  And it was awesome) and asked me to make her child's 1st birthday cake (so like... no pressure or anything).  She's asking for the (new to me) combination of funfetti cake (I plan to try and steer her towards homemade) with banana cream frosting. I have never made banana cream frosting before. The party will be smack in the middle of September, which means HEAT.  I will also have to drive it like 2 hours (which I've never done before, and will almost certainly involve me posting closer to the date asking for help).  So I think my question is... anyone who has experience with banana cream frosting (?!), does this stuff crust up like crusting buttercream?  Is there a specific recipe to use? Or could I just add banana extract to a vanilla crusting buttercream that holds up well in the heat (I know there's one floating around on cc somewhere), subbing out banana for vanilla and use that?

(I'll be experimenting with this later at some point, but thought I'd check with the pros first...)

2 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 3

I can't help you with the frosting... 

But...

I make my own birthday cake every year... It is awesome... I get what I want... My friends think I am crazy, but I love it...

bluefox1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluefox1394 Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 3

You can definitely just add or substitute in banana flavored extract to your preferred crusting butter cream recipe. You may want to play around with it before hand to get the correct amount figured out. 

Most of the banana cream frosting recipes I've used have either actual banana or banana budding in them and they do not firm up/crust. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%