Cake Box Problems?

Decorating By Elizabeth_Anne Updated 21 May 2016 , 1:56pm by Elizabeth_Anne

Elizabeth_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth_Anne Posted 20 May 2016 , 10:45am
post #1 of 6

Hi there,

I have a question about cake boxes. I delivered my first cake order last week, and had somone hold it on their lap on the way there. But on the window side of the cake box, that part of the cake got discolored, and it wasn't even in the sun or anything.

Does anyone have experience with this, and know how to prevent it?

Also, the cake slightly melted and the icing cracked because of the warmth of the person's lap it was on. Anyone who delivers cakes, do you have somone hold it, or do you just stick it on the floor of the car?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 May 2016 , 11:56am
post #2 of 6

The cakes should be put on a flat part of the car for best transportation results, not on someone's lap...I don't know about the fading, that happens with food coloring sometimes. You might want to get boxes that don't have a window in them.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 20 May 2016 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 6

Yup, what costumeczar said. I have a large piece of rubber kitchen shelf liner in my trunk that the cake box goes on, so it doesn't slide around. Air conditioning on full blast, unless it's snowing out lol. 

Even if the window part wasn't in direct sunlight it was getting more light than the rest of the cake & that is probably why the icing discolored. If it was warm enough to melt, the icing can break, sweat and color can leach out weirdly.  

Elizabeth_Anne Posted 20 May 2016 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, this was really helpful!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2016 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 6

i have newspaper in the car to put over the top of cake boxes to shield from too much light -- i most often transport my cakes on the seat after i have leveled it with a roll of paper towels and a sheet pan on top of that -- the back seat would have two or three rolls of paper towels and sheet pans -- during cake seasons i just keep those items in the car as well as the nubbly skid resistant shelf paper liner -- i often secure the box into the seat belt as well -- but i do deliver them in the trunk too -- 16x16 size cake boxes fit without tipping into all of my car doors 

i do not rely on the car's air conditioning to keep the cake cool -- open the door once and your insurance is gone or if you should happen to get into slow traffic or get a flat, then what -- i only deliver cold cake -- 

we often hold cake boxes on our laps no problem but they are already cold too so...

best to you

Elizabeth_Anne Posted 21 May 2016 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! Newspaper over the top sounds like a good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%