3 Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By jodie-k Updated 12 May 2016 , 3:19pm by jodie-k

jodie-k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodie-k Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I am making my first 3 tiered wedding cake.  They have requested red velvet, which I've never made until practicing for this cake.  I have tried many different recipes, which I think have all been too dry for what my expectations of red velvet would be.  I decided to add some oil to the recipe, and it was the best one so far.  It is very moist! I made a practice 3 tier cake using red velvet box mixes which turned out good, but I am wondering if the cake is very moist, will it hold up as a 3 tiered cake?

Also, I am planning on having each tier being 4 inches.  I am planning on 3 layers in each tier, which are each 1 inch.  Do you think they need to be bigger to achieve a 4 inch tier, or will the frosting make up for the extra inch?

Thanks so much!

3 replies
jodie-k Posted 11 May 2016 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 4

The recipe I am using is:

1/2  c. butter

1/2  c. canola oil

1 1/2 c./300 g. sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

2 TBL red food coloring

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 1/2 c./250 g. cake flour

1 c. buttermilk

1 TBL vinegar

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 May 2016 , 6:29am
post #3 of 4

Bravo for you for making a practice 3-tier cake!!!    If your recipe is good and you've had the practice of a 3-tier, then you should be fine as long as your support system is good.  (Dowels, etc.)   Doesn't really matter if each tier is 'exactly' 4" high or 4-1/2" or 5". 

Personally, I like to tort two, 2" high layers (I end up with four 1" layers) and never bother about whether a tier is exactly 4" high.  I usually end up with 4-1/2" or 5", depending on the frosting/decorating.

jodie-k Posted 12 May 2016 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you!  When I made the practice one I assembled it here at home and it transported just fine. It still makes me a little nervous to do that in case we hit a big bump or something happens. How do you usually transport yours?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%