Is $30 For A Dozen 5Inch Fondant Decorated Cookies To Much?

Business By SoniaMT Updated 8 May 2016 , 11:34pm by pj22

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 8

For all those cookie bakers out there, I recently started to do the calculations on my cakes and cookies for selling from the house. After doing the calculations its coming out to almost 30 dollars for a dozen of 5inch cookies. The cookies are covered in fondant and have some decoration work on them. Such as lego bricks etc. Am i doing something wrong? or is this normal for a dozen cookies? Do you guys charge more for royal icing decorated cookies or fondant? i would think royal icing would cost more cause it takes a lot more time to do. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you had to purchase a specific cookie cutter or mold for an order, would you charge full price of that product or charge it by use like all other equipment? 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 8

some people would charge twice that

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 8

i mean as a rule it's often $1 per inch for well decorated cookies -- that's what i charged

SimplyIcedCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIcedCC Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with K8memphis.  $1 per inch generally.  It can go up from there depending on packaging, how many colors. how hard the design is, etc. I don't charge full price for a cookie cutter to the client, unless I won't ever use it again.  I just take it as business costs and it allows me to have even more cutters haha

People don't realize how long, tedious, and hard it is to decorate cookies.  So, make sure you take into account your time and effort, packaging costs, and ingredients, etc. I prefer royal icing but, I also don't really enjoy Fondant.  It's up to the individual :)

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with both previous comments. Some decorators charge by the inch, the design, the amount of colors used; there are many variables. I've seen some mini cookies for 1.50 and they are about 2 inches in size, one color. I charge by the design, so a 5 inch cookie with intricate detail, piping, etc. Is going to cost more than a 5 inch cookie with no detail. Cookies are time consuming, but hard to price and even harder to profit from....in my area, so I don't offer them but on special occasions. 

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks guys!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 8

I have a friend who does handpainted portrait cookies, and one can take her an hour to do. She sells them occasionally but it's more of a hobby for her because her customers generally don't want to pay what she'd need to charge for one of them.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 8 May 2016 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 8

For 5 inch size cookies, I would charge around $40-$48/dozen or more, depending on the detail involved!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%