Red Velvet Cake Cream Cheese Frosting

Baking By efatrie Updated 16 Apr 2016 , 9:08pm by kramersl

efatrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
efatrie Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 2

Is there any good cream cheese frosting that holds up well, and with a nice tangy taste?

I've tried this cream cheese recipe, but was wondering if I had over-beaten the mixture because it didn't really hold up well (I live in a humid country).

-  2 sticks butter
-  1 package cream cheese

-  2.5 tsp vanilla extract
-  480g icing sugar

Should I also reduce the vanilla extract to get the tangy taste from cream cheese? Thanks!

1 reply
kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 2

Tanginess from cream cheese comes through better in a Swiss Meringue Cream Cheese frosting as opposed to a cream cheese frosting made American Buttercream style. Here is a recipe… 

Cream Cheese Frosting:

• 5 large egg whites
  • 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup (approximately 400g)  unsalted butter; softened to room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 blocks of Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Create a double boiler by placing a metal bowl over a sauce pan with an inch (2.5 cm) or so of water in it; you don’t want the water touching the bottom of the bowl on the top. Bring the water to a boil, and combine the egg whites and sugar in the metal bowl. Whisk constantly until the sugar is melted, it will feel smooth when you rub it between your fingers, then remove from the heat.

Put the metal bowl into an ice bath, and be very careful not to get any water into the bowl. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.

Fit your stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip the egg whites into a glossy meringue. Keep whisking until the meringue has cooled completely, otherwise when you add the butter you will get super sweet egg butter soup. 

Once the meringue has cooled, add the butter a couple tablespoons at a time, while whisking constantly, until all of the butter is fully incorporated, then switch to the paddle attachment, add the two teaspoons 
of vanilla and beat until smooth. You have just made Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

Scoop the buttercream into a separate bowl and set aside. Put the cream cheese into the stand mixer bowl (no need to wash it out) and beat until smooth using the paddle attachment. Gradually add the buttercream a few tablespoons at a time to the cream cheese. Scrape down the sides and the bottom 
of the bowl to make sure all of the cream cheese is being incorporated into the buttercream. Once all of the buttercream is added, you should have a beautiful fluffy frosting that holds peaks. If you find it to be a little runny refrigerate it for 30 minutes and then beat again with the paddle attachment. 

It's labor intensive but amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%