Melting White Chocolate

Decorating By Immelda Updated 6 Apr 2016 , 8:29am by Immelda

Immelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Immelda Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 10:49am
post #1 of 4

Hi there everyone.

Something that seems so simple seems to be so difficult for me to do. I cant seem to melt white chocolate succesfully. I melt all other chocolate over hot water (simmerring) or in the microvawe but for some reason my white chocolate chips or slabs (chopped) does not melt as easily. Is it just me, am I doing something wrong or what.

please help.

3 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 4

White chocolate is very tempermental - your temperature might be too high and the chocolate is burning (looks like siezing).  Try 50% power on your microwave and/or make sure your simmering water is far far below your bowl.

Your white chocolate may also be too old (even if still within best before date).  Fresh is best.   Use couverture chocolate (contains cocoa butter) and not compound chocolate or candy melts (contains vegetable oils). 

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 7:02am
post #3 of 4

When it comes to white chocolate, I have had just as many problems with couverture as with those found in the grocery store - unlike their very well behaved counterpart - dark chocolate ganache.   But, I recently saw a tutorial about this and the trick with melting white chocolate (or dark for that matter) in the microwave is to first mix it with the cream (make sure every bit is coated with the cream), and then microwave it at full power (still in small bursts).  Apparently the cream acts as a sort of protection barrier and keeps it from over heating/burning.  In fact I just made a batch about 15 minutes ago - it was actually a breeze.  I don't know that I have ever been able to say that about anything having to do with white chocolate ganache.

Immelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Immelda Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 8:29am
post #4 of 4

oh great thank you very much. I will def try both your advice.

appreciate it,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%