To Refrigerate Or Not: Sour Cream Frosting For Cookies

Baking By bbvaccaro Updated 20 Mar 2016 , 12:50am by kristykgs

bbvaccaro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbvaccaro Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 2

I make sugar cookies with a sour cream frosting that my family & friends love! I was contemplating adding them to my menu but...AR cottage food law prohibits the sale of baked goods that require refrigeration. I have never refrigerated the frosting but they have never had to sit out for any length of time as I usually frost them shortly before serving. I have seen so many conflicting answers when it comes to the need of refrigerating! Some say that the amount of sugar to sour cream ratio stabilizes the sour cream so therefore it is safe to keep at room temperature. Some say that it needs refrigerating no matter what because of the sour cream. Can someone please answer this for me once & for all?! :) 

1 reply
kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 12:50am
post #2 of 2

They would need to be refrigerated due to the sour cream. If there is any ingredient that is NOT cooked that needs to be refrigerated, then the whole thing needs to be kept cold. I am a serve safe instructor and can tell you that if you were to send these to the lab, they would require you to refrigerate them. No different than cream cheese icing. Has a lot of sugar in it, but still needs to be refrigerated due to the cream cheese.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%