What Makes A Mud Cake Dense?

Baking By Natbro Updated 18 Mar 2016 , 7:13am by Natbro

Natbro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natbro Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

My friend has asked me to make her wedding cake and she has requested that one layer is a chocolate mudcake. I have very rarely made mud cakes and have been experimenting with some recipes, however I have yet to make it the perfect flavour. Each cake I have made has the correct texture of a mudcake. I am thinking I should make my own recipe (inspired by others), however, I am worried it will lose it texture and density. So my question is how does a mudcake get it's texture? Is it just by the slow cooking in the oven? Or is it one of the ingredients? Also, if you have any other tips, I will be very grateful.

Thank you :)

Kind regards,

Nat

3 replies
kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 4

Two things make it dense... The method in which the batter is mixed (muffin batter method) and the small amount of leavener. Using the method where you mix wet and dry separately then combine them doesn't beat a whole lot of air into the batter, so the cake doesnt get a lot of lift. Also, if you want a good lift in your cake you would usually use 1 or more teaspoons of leavener per cup of flour, but the mud cake recipes I have used use less.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 4

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/2014/02/american-mud-cake/

I haven't tried this recipe yet but she is great about explaining the science behind recipes, it might help you with what you're looking for. I have tried some of her other recipes, Summer Stone, excellent results

Natbro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natbro Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 7:13am
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys.. That's exactly what I needed :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%