Coconut Cake

Baking By missy1462 Updated 17 Mar 2016 , 4:58pm by kramersl

missy1462 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy1462 Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 5

Years ago, my supervisor brought in a cake that his wife had made. It was a white, sour cream cake with a sour cream icing and fresh grated coconut on top. All the sour cream coconut icing recipes you see online are the ones where you throw in a carton of cool whip. This recipe wasn't made with cool whip, and I have always wanted to make one. The lady, and subsequently her husband, died a few years later and I never knew their son to ask if he would be willing to share his moms recipe. I know most professional bakers never share recipes, and I am not asking for them to, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good, moist, sour cream cake recipe, and a good sour cream icing recipe that I could make my family for a special occasion? 

4 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy1462 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy1462 Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 12:40am
post #3 of 5

I appreciate it, but this one only has sour cream in the filling. It wasn't what I was looking for.

kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 5

For the layers, I would use the WASC (white almond sour cream) recipe... Just leave out the almond extract.

Here is a good link... http://cakejournal.com/recipes/white-sour-cream-cake-recipe/

This is the sour cream frosting I have used in the past for a coconut cake:

1/2 cup butter softened

1 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon lemon juice

4-6 cups sifted powdered sugar (depending on the consistency you want)

Cream butter until pale yellow (3 min)

Add sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice and cream for 1 minute

Beat in powdered sugar.

kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 5

I forgot to mention.... When you make the frosting, it's better if you strain the sour cream first. I put it in a fine mesh colander and let it sit for about 15-30 minutes to get some of the excess liquid out before I prepare the frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%