My Cake Sinks In The Middle!

Baking By cmh07818 Updated 15 Feb 2016 , 4:10pm by -K8memphis

cmh07818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmh07818 Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 5

So I tried a new recipe the other day,  the sour cream white almond wedding cake.   I followed the recipe,  used 4 cups of batter for my 8 in round,  baked it at 350, I had to extend the baking time a little because it wasn't cooked, used the tooth pick method to test if it was done,  used the bake even strips, and as it was cooling the center dropped!  What did I do wrong? !

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 5

you over filled the pan -- a typical 8" cake gets 3 cups of batter -- try it with less batter and it will bake beautifully for you

-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 5

use the wilton wedding cake data chart -- it states 4 cups of icing for a 2 layer 8 " but 3 cups of batter for one layer

cmh07818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmh07818 Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 5

So I'm confused about what you mean for 1 layer vs 2 layer,  when I searched how many cups of batter it said 4 cups for the 8in? So what does it mean when it talks about layers?  I had planned on cutting the cake in half and filling it. 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 5

i mean i don't know where you searched for that information -- but over filling will cause a cake to sink -- 4 cups of icing is too much for an 8" layer -- if you use 3 cups your wasc cake will bake right

the chart i linked you to is very detailed -- read the tops of each column carefully -- where it gives you the amount of batter to use it states that amount is for one layer --

the last column where it gives you the amount of icing to use it states that it is the amount of icing for a two layer cake --

so read/absorb the column headers/descriptions  carefully -- a typical 8" cake is made of two 2" layers -- so it'll be 4" tall -- the chart gives batter amounts for one layer and icing amounts for the whole cake that is both layers --

i can't vouch for other charts -- this one works for wasc --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%